UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2006, 8:40 am   #1
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Question pioneer cassette deck

Hi guys, I am in need of some assistance. My Pioneer cassette deck, model CT200,has eaten its drive belts and reduced them to a sticky black mess. Does anyone know where I can buy new ones ?
I've tried a quick Gooogle search but nothing relevent comes up.

Malcolm
Old 16th Aug 2006, 5:32 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: pioneer cassette deck

Malcolm,

I think you'll need to be inventive.

First, work out what their diameter was. One way of doing this is by using a bit of white cotton threaded in the way the original belt ran. Overlap the ends, then make a mark on the overlapping portion with a felt-tip. Take the cotton off and measure the length between the 2 marks (in mm), which is the circumference. Divide this by 3.14 to get the diameter.

If it was a flat belt, try to work out from the remnants how wide it was. 4mm is typical.

Similarly, if it was square, try to guess the width - about 1mm is normal, but some machines used fatter ones (like you'd find in a reel to reel machine or an old VCR) and some thinner (Walkman style).

Then come back to us with the details, and I'll have a look in my CPC catalogue - they do a lot of generic drive belts for cassette recorders. You might need to buy a few different sizes and see which one fits best.

Nick.
Old 16th Aug 2006, 6:37 pm   #3
percival007
Heptode

What he said!!!!
Pioneer certainly don't stock them any longer. Equivalents can be purchased from CPC though.
Old 17th Aug 2006, 8:15 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

My Pioneer CTF500 capstan belt broke a month ago - first time I have ever had to open it up since new.
I had a bit of a surf, found a site that sells various belts at £10 a time, then spotted that CPC sell them (by thickness, length, width) for 49p.
HTH
Old 17th Aug 2006, 8:29 am   #5
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Many thanks guys. The cotton measuring trick will be essential as all the belts have melted to a black goo.
By strange chance CPC delivered their full catalog to me yesterday so I'll work out sizes and order from them.
Thanks again.

Malcolm
Closed Thread