UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:14 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Murphy D26 (1935) Fixed.

After some not so successful attempts at fixing old radios this came as a welcome change.
I’ve had this set some years and restored and cabinet about 10 years ago. Today I decided it was time to look at it and hopefully get it working.
I powered it up to be greeted with a loud hum. I very quickly switched it off; I removed the chassis from the cabinet and had a good look. I’d successfully fixed my A30 last year which looks very similar so I was expecting to see lot of wax capacitors and a large Murphy “condenser box”. I was surprised to see none of this but lots of silver capacitors of varying makes. It looked as if someone had attempted to fix it many years before I obtained the set.
The first thing I replaced was the Hunts duel electrolytic cap (16 uf x 16 uf) as it read remarkably low. I used a couple of 22 uf and to my delight the radio sprang into life. It was still producing a hum but nothing like before so I decided to replace all the existing caps. While I was doing this a few wires just disconnected themselves from their solder joints with very little disruption. So I made good and re-soldered all this previous work to make sure everything was well connected.
I replaced the horrible white mains lead with a nice period fabric covered one and I now have a very nice radio wich doesn't hum.
It’s incredibly sensitive; I can even pick up stations without an aerial plugged in, with one it sounds really good and goes very loud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07226.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	145216   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3456.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	145217  
Old 27th Jun 2017, 5:22 pm   #2

Default Re: Murphy D26 (1935) Fixed.

Very pretty, 19/10!

Old 27th Jun 2017, 6:07 pm   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

Very nice Clive.

Andrew
Old 28th Jun 2017, 4:13 pm   #4
PJL
Dekatron

That's a really nice job you have done on the cabinet. Is it french polished?
Old 28th Jun 2017, 4:30 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I had always assumed that the Murphy models with the prefix "D" were DC mains only models. When you made no mention of having to convert your D26 to work on AC mains I looked into it.

Murphy made 14 models between 1930 and 1940 with the prefix "D" in the model number and only 3 of them were DC mains only models, the other 11 being universal (AC/DC) sets.

The DC mains only models were D4, D24 and D28.

The AC/DC mains models were D26, D30, D34, D36, D38 D46, D48, D50, D70, D72 and D90.

You live and learn.
Old 28th Jun 2017, 6:13 pm   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
That's a really nice job you have done on the cabinet. Is it french polished?
Thanks, I now tend to french polish my cabinets, but this Murphy was done with polyurethane varnish some ten years ago. If lots of coats are built up and cut back between each one very good durable results can be had. But it is time consuming as it takes a good day for each coat to fully dry.
Old 29th Jun 2017, 7:55 am   #7
robin coleman
Hexode

A very nice set, another one for my list when one comes up.

Regards, Robin.
Old 29th Jun 2017, 6:07 pm   #8
bobskie
Hexode

Very nice radio, good job!

Cameron
Old 12th Aug 2017, 9:37 pm   #9
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Well done Clive, that looks very good.