UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2006, 11:45 am   #1
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Gizmos.

Hi guys.

I aquired a couple of gizmos recently as a job lot with an old Ferguson reel/reel.

The first is a 'Metrostrobe' tape recorder speed tester. Either every reel / reel machine I've had since is running fast or slow, or it's faulty, or I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone any experience of these?

The second is a continuous magnetic tape cassette made by 'Radio Bleep Ltd, England'. It looks as if it may have gotten itself twisted inside but not badly. However, it is 'takeapartable' ( always a joy ) so that shouldn't be a problem. I can't imagine a scenario where I would have any use for it so if anyone has a GENUINE use for it you're welcome, for cost of postage. But please, I really don't want to see it on Ebay - I can do that myself! No offence intended.

Keep up the postings - it's the best reading I get.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 7:03 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Gizmos.

I think you may find your magnetic cassette tape is , or was a head degausser , one rewinds then plays through to demagnetize the heads, remove without rewind.
Same procedure next time.

Doffery
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 7:24 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger13 View Post
Either every reel / reel machine I've had since is running fast or slow, or it's faulty, or I'm doing something wrong. Has anyone any experience of these?
I've never seen one of these.

Presumably, you're aware how strobes are used, e.g. those on turntables?

You need a mains-powered light - fluorescent striplights work particularly well becuase they're flickery. The speed is adjusted until the pattern appears to stay still. If it turns slowly one way or the other, the speed is slightly out.

Make sure yours is designed for 50/100Hz operation (as opposed to 60/120Hz USA mains), and check that it's designed to operate at the speed your machines run at.

Nick.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 9:01 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

The strobe also needs to be used on the capstan spindle, as this is the part that is speed controlled. I have a Philips "tape strobe", which gives reasonable results.

Jim.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 9:23 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

I knew I had a picture of mine somewhere......

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/test5.htm

Jim.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 10:12 pm   #6
llama
Octode

Hi,
Is your continuous magnetic tape cassette a NAB cart? I take it you're familiar with these. Type A, the same dimensions but not compatible with an 8-track. Type A runs at 7.5 ips for radio jingles. Type C has a 7 inch spool in it, typically run at 1.75 ips for muzac.
Or something else?!?!
Graham
Old 24th Aug 2006, 12:58 pm   #7
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I've never seen one of these.

Presumably, you're aware how strobes are used, e.g. those on turntables?

You need a mains-powered light - fluorescent striplights work particularly well becuase they're flickery. The speed is adjusted until the pattern appears to stay still. If it turns slowly one way or the other, the speed is slightly out.

Make sure yours is designed for 50/100Hz operation (as opposed to 60/120Hz USA mains), and check that it's designed to operate at the speed your machines run at.

Nick.
Hi Nick.

Yes I've used turntable strobes before. My 'workbench' is directly below a mains light so no problem there. The thing is designed as a miniature reel on a handle and the object is to hook it into the tape path manually and observe the strobe. If I could figure out how, I'd include a picture! Definately 50Hz.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 1:04 pm   #8
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
I think you may find your magnetic cassette tape is , or was a head degausser , one rewinds then plays through to demagnetize the heads, remove without rewind.
Same procedure next time.

Doffery
Hi. Looks like standard 1/4" magnetic tape to me, in a round plastic canister with central cine slot. Tape exits from a slot and enters through a slot on opposite side. Tried it on a reel/reel machine but couldn't figure out correct route without 'snagging'. Possibly due to the twisted tape I mentioned. Next step I suppose will be to take it apart and try 'untwisting' it. My best guess would be that it would be used for commercial purposes - continuous messaging etc.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 1:05 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Sorry for stating the obvious then, Roger.

Presumably, it must be attached to the capstan, or if not, the tape must be threaded around some part of the gadget.

I've seen strobe cassettes which seem to work by having a stroboscopic disc which is rotated by virtue of the moving tape being wrapped around it.

Have you got a digital picture of it but can't get it to appear here? If so, send me a PM, I'll send you my e-mail address, you can send it to me as an attachment then I can post it here.

Nick.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 1:16 pm   #10
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Nick, you have a PM.
Roger.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 6:35 pm   #11
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Roger,
From your description I assumed it was a "cassette" , however with 1/4 " tape not so. Must be one of the many "endless cassette" type units, as per the Ferrograph or Sony.

Cheers.
Doffery
Old 24th Aug 2006, 9:44 pm   #12
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
Sorry Roger,
From your description I assumed it was a "cassette" , however with 1/4 " tape not so. Must be one of the many "endless cassette" type units, as per the Ferrograph or Sony.

Cheers.
Doffery
Hi Doffery,

Sorry, I didn't make it very clear - merely quoted the manufacturer's description. If they're that common I guess it's 'bin fodder' then? I have enough clutter around here without adding more.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 9:47 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Pictures from Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape Cassette.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	5127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metrostrobe.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	5128  
Old 24th Aug 2006, 10:01 pm   #14
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Nick, for posting the photos for me.

Cheers,

Roger.
Old 24th Aug 2006, 11:58 pm   #15
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I had one of these, it came out of an automatic fire alarm which I "recycled" in my teens. Dial pulses on one track followed by the other track playing "Fire, fire fire; this is an automatic alarm reporting from..." all in a calm, somewhat bored monotone.

Works the same as the innards of an 8-track cartridge. Tape is pulled out from the middle of the pancake and returns to the outside. I seem to remember the action of the tape being pulled out causes the inner 'spool' with the tape pancake to rotate, causing the tape to be taken up after passing the heads. On the one I had there was a bit of foil over the splice which caused the alarm to stop the tape.

...and don't bin it... if you don't want it I could possibly find a use for it...

Regards, Kat.
Old 26th Aug 2006, 7:10 pm   #16
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
Hi,

...and don't bin it... if you don't want it I could possibly find a use for it...

Regards, Kat.

Hi Kat.

You're welcome. Send me a PM with the address and I'll get it off to you.

Roger.
Closed Thread