UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2016, 9:30 am   #1
MATCHU101
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferrograph series 7 problems

Good morning all, apologies if i'm stepping over the boundaries in any way, i'm a forum virgin and trying to help out a work colleague.
An old boy at work has a series 7 ferrograph that is playing him up and he uses it to play the old tunes he used to listen to back in the day with his mum when she was still alive.
He's having problems powering it up and believes there is a problem with the wire between the transformer and bridge rectifier (D700) could anybody tell me what colour the said wires are so he knows exactly what he's looking for, or even better, if there is still anybody around that services these machines?
Many thanks in advance
Old 27th Jul 2016, 11:58 am   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: Ferrograph series 7 problems

Is the gent in question aware that the material the capstan idler wheels and also the pinchwheel is made of usually will have turned to goo by now unless they've been replaced in the past?

The symptoms (before final system "collapse") are poor running.

Just a thought.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 2:09 pm   #3
MATCHU101
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve
I Believe he's already stripped it down to a certain degree and has been checking it with tester trying to trace where the break in power is. he has 240v going in but somewhere the circuit is broken. Apologies for the hazy information, i'm trying to get as much info out of him as i can and will update as i have more
Old 27th Jul 2016, 3:24 pm   #4
SteveCG
Nonode

A thought - check that the fuses are making good contact. These are the ones mounted on the 'top' of the recorder, and are accessible without any dismantling.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 7:23 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've worked on a Ferrograph 5 and don't have a lot of experience with these machines, but I'd be happy to take a look at it for him. Drop me a PM by left clicking on my user name then click "send private message".

Andy.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 12:11 pm   #6
nutteronthebus
Hexode

HI this is a scan of the power supply of both the 713 mono and the 722/4 stereo Hope they help

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img011.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	127889   Click image for larger version

Name:	img012.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	127890  
Old 28th Jul 2016, 3:10 pm   #7
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks to Dave's posting of the relevant sections of the circuit diagrams, I'll just confirm that it is fuses 700,701 and 702 that I mentioned in an earlier post (assuming your workmate has a stereo machine).
Old 29th Jul 2016, 1:05 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

These fuse holders are well known for losing their tension so that might be all that's wrong - aside from the idlers of course!
Glyn
Closed Thread