UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2019, 12:52 pm   #1
Cobaltblue

Default Oh for a time machine.

Whilst ploughing though the massive pile of unscanned documents this one caught my eye.

You used to see these adverts in the magazines but this was in the form of a flyer.

I can provide the scans in JPG files if they are of any interest.

Annoyingly the only A3 scanners I have access to at the moment only scan in PDF or JPG

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD page 1.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	186532   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD page 2.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	186533   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD page 3.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	186534   Click image for larger version

Name:	WD page 4.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	186535  
Old 12th Jul 2019, 2:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Oh for a time machine.

Look again at the prices though. Those weren't pocket money prices in the mid 60s.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 2:27 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

You could buy such things as brand new R1155s and AR88s, but as Paul says they were still out of reach of most. The hey-day of the government surplus shops with the piles of morse keys and DLR5 headphones.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 2:53 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

I love the old ads in 50's & 60's Wireless World etc. There's one that always makes us chuckle - it's an ad in(possibly) GW Smith or Bull Electrical for an electric clothes drier, and it says it's the ideal gift for 'mother or married sister'. Crikey, the right-on brigade would be going ballistic nowadays!
But I find myself looking at items like large 'RCA plate transformers', which were capable of 2500 volts at up to 1 A, then finding suitable smoothing chokes and caps, all ready for some er...um, action.
We staggered out of G3MAX's shop in Levenshulme with just such an item in 1973. It was about a foot cube and weighed about as much as a small car. A couple of 813's and two 811A's, plus a modulation transformer from MAGTOR in Manchester and you can guess the rest. Guilty, your Honour.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 5:50 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

That's some address. The Headrow is the poshest drag in Leeds centre... and they were just 100 yards uphill from the town hall and library. More CBD than shopping epicentre (That's Meadow Lane or further up the Headrow where you found Lewis' and Schofields)

David
Old 12th Jul 2019, 6:03 pm   #6
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
That's some address. The Headrow is the poshest drag in Leeds centre... and they were just 100 yards uphill from the town hall and library. More CBD than shopping epicentre
Why does everybody now say/write "epicentre" instead of "centre", when they don't even mean the same thing?
Old 12th Jul 2019, 6:10 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I always yearned for a few GPO 200 or 300 series Bakelite phones, the going rate for which seemed to be 50p ��
Old 12th Jul 2019, 6:41 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
Quote:
More CBD than shopping epicentre
Why does everybody now say/write "epicentre" instead of "centre", when they don't even mean the same thing?
I suppose Leeds has its figurative shopping epicentre however many shopping centres it may possess. Can't see how the cannabidiol distribution relates, at least that's the only meaning of CBD that I can find...

Paul
Old 12th Jul 2019, 6:42 pm   #9
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I read 'CBD' as 'Central Business District' which would seem to make more sense
Old 12th Jul 2019, 8:41 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
Quote:
That's some address. The Headrow is the poshest drag in Leeds centre... and they were just 100 yards uphill from the town hall and library. More CBD than shopping epicentre
Popular use of 'epicentre' in this way derives from its use in reports of underground nuclear testing in the 60s. As you say, it doesn't really mean what people think it means today, but that's the way language develops.

Back on topic please.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:19 pm   #11
martin.m
Hexode

Oh for a time machine, indeed. My first job after leaving school in the late 1960s was a trainee engineer with the GPO, as it then was. I remember visiting subscribers' homes with an experienced engineer fault finding on domestic installations. If and old bakelite telephone was faulty, we replaced it with a new coloured 740 or 746 type, much to the customer's delight. The old bakelite ones were dumped in a skip at the back of the telephone exchange.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:33 pm   #12
Argus25
No Longer a Member

A very important principle about Time Machines (taught in the second Time Machine movie) is that you cannot decide to build a time machine to solve a problem that arises, after that problem arises.

The reason is that if the problem is eliminated and never occurs, the time machine will never be built, so you cannot possibly use the machine to solve that problem.

So it is a shame you found all those goodies in that magazine then decided you wanted a time machine after that.

So you better get on an build a time machine now, for no specific application, so it is there later in case you need it for another unexpected task.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:35 pm   #13
The Philpott
Dekatron

..Why did we complicate things by quoting 55'- or 95'- rather than £2.15.0 or £4.15.0 in those days? Was this intended as a mind trick similar to today's tactics such as £39.99 for a kettle and £8,995 for a car...? Guineas i can cope with, but huge amounts of shillings just seems odd and out of place.

Dave
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:41 pm   #14
McMurdo
Dekatron

My 'time machine moment' is when I see ads for NOS round tv tubes and pathe clips of 50's second-hand shops selling off all those unwanted 30's tv's.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 11:22 pm   #15
Richard_FM
Octode

Some period pictures of shops full of interesting items sometimes make me wish I could step into them, even just for a few minutes to look round.

Another is being able to go back about 20 years to buy up 1970s-80s TVs from car boot sales & off eBay before prices got silly.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 11:26 pm   #16
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
..Why did we complicate things by quoting 55'- or 95'- rather than £2.15.0 or £4.15.0 in those days? Was this intended as a mind trick similar to today's tactics such as £39.99 for a kettle and £8,995 for a car...? Guineas i can cope with, but huge amounts of shillings just seems odd and out of place.
It was standard practice to price items in the £1-£5 price range like that. It's sales psychology - a pound was a significant psychological barrier at that time, indicating that something was expensive, so people were more willing to buy if the price was in shillings, even a ridiculous quantity like 95/-.

Anything over £1 actually was expensive. A pint of beer in a pub cost less than 2/- in the mid 60s.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 8:00 am   #17
its ur aerial
Hexode

If you analyse the 7/6d for a Hand held mic, a Pint of Beer then (dare I mention Watneys Red Barrel) was about 2/4d, so that's approx three pints for the cost of the Mic, equivalent to about £15 now. After excluding a well known Pub Chain from the equation.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 12:57 pm   #18
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
Some period pictures of shops full of interesting items sometimes make me wish I could step into them, even just for a few minutes to look round.
Somewhere like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cv-12-768x489.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	186578  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 2:39 pm   #19
Andrew2
Nonode

Oh Richard, you really shouldn't post pics like that. I could stare at it all day, just look at that 60's style!
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:00 pm   #20
Radio Wrangler

Epicentre was chosen deliberately. Have you seen the shoppers in Leeds when the sales are on? No quarter is given! Never stand between Yorkshire folk and a bargain.

David