UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2004, 8:13 am   #1
radiograeme

Default Cleaning a tuning capacitor

I have an Indonesian made Erres KY552U 5 valve set from the 1950s. It has ony the SW bands, but I have noticed that the tuning is "dead" (no stations) between the 30-50 metre bands. The tuning is "live" in other areas of the band.

I have an aerosol Philips Contact Cleaner 390CCS and I was wondering if I could do any good or damage if I sprayed the tuning capacitor? I don't have access to other contact sprays here.

How else can I proceed? any help gratefully received.

Thanks, Radiograeme

Last edited by Chris_C; 28th Dec 2004 at 2:13 pm.

Old 2nd Jul 2004, 9:40 am   #2
RichH
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Cleaning a tuning capacitor

I have used switch cleaner on tuning condensers before with no problems
Rich
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 9:43 am   #3
paulsherwin

Spraying won't do any harm, but it probably won't help either. If the radio is dead for a portion of *all* the bands, then the tuning cap is shorting and you need to look for metallic foreign bodies or bent plates. Contact cleaner won't fix these. If the radio is only dead on a portion of one band, it's unlikely to be the tuning cap - try cleaning the wavechange contacts first.

Good luck, Paul
Old 2nd Jul 2004, 1:32 pm   #4
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

Graeme,

I have had this problem before and as Paul suggested was caused by bent plates touching during part of the rotation. You could check for shorting using a meter while rotating the vanes. I managed to cure it using gentle persuasion from a thin bladed screwdriver.

Best of luck, John B.
Old 3rd Jul 2004, 4:41 am   #5
radiograeme

Thanks, Rich, Paul and John. I think I'll start with an aerosol air spray to clean out the dust first. I'll spray the contact cleaner on the waveband switch, then if that fails I'll look at the blades.

Thanks for the great help. Really appreciated!

Cheers, Radiograeme

Old 10th Jul 2004, 11:19 am   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi,

I know this is slightly off the topic but I think it's still relevant.

I remember seeing a restored DAC90a on ebay, it had gone through a very comprehensive restoration which included polishing the chasis. What really caught my eye was the polished tuning cap, it was spotless including the vanes .

Does anybody know how a tuning cap can be cleaned to this standard!

Regards

David
Old 10th Jul 2004, 2:19 pm   #7
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

I remember seeing on one of the USA forums instructions on cleaning tuning caps by boiling them with tomato skins , I guess it would be OK to try it on a knackered one to find out

Mike
Old 10th Jul 2004, 9:26 pm   #8
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

I believe that well equipped "professional" restorers may use ultrasonic cleaners for tuning capacitors.

Steve J

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 6:50 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 10th Jul 2004, 11:57 pm   #9
Richard
Heptode

Hi all

Ultrasonic cleaner works well.
I have a small one, which came from a boot sale for £4.50

Richard
Old 11th Jul 2004, 9:47 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I'm sure I read somewhere that putting them in the dishwasher was effective. I haven't tried it though.

Of course after this or after ultrasonic cleaning, all the bearings etc would need to be lubricated again.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Jul 2004, 4:08 pm   #11
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Most dishwashers use a type of caustic soda in the dishwasher powder or tablet which attacks aluminium if your variable capacitor is aluminium I don't think it would do it a lot of good it also strips gold plating etc from crockery so I think a dishwasher isn't a particulary good environment for metal radio parts.

Mike
Old 11th Jul 2004, 7:41 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

I agree, normal dishwasher detergent attacks aluminium, but the basic action is just high pressure hot (very) water. As the machine is lined with stainless steel, and the pump must be fairly resistant to chemicals, could a safer chemical be used ?
Old 11th Jul 2004, 8:00 pm   #13
Richard
Heptode

Hi all

I have put all sorts of things through our dishwasher, including Bakelite cabinets, chassis, and a 1900cc VW transporter engine crankcase, 1 half at a time when I was rebuilding it. (This did not go down to well with the Mrs, but all was OK after running the machine through 1 cycle empty afterwards to clean the machine out!)

Aluminium things can be affected, our pressure cooker is now white (anordised ?), but this has taken a long time.

I dont think it would hurt a tuning capacitor, but try with a duff one first.

Richard.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 6:51 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 11th Jul 2004, 8:58 pm   #14
Steve_Johnson
Retired Dormant Member

I guess a hot dishwasher cycle and just the pressure would be OK but I have noticed that the salt solution in most of the tablets/detergents does affect the aluminium over a long time. It probably won't be a problem for just one cycle?

Steve J
Old 11th Jul 2004, 9:26 pm   #15
Sam
Hexode

I think once or twice would be OK. I have heard tales of people cleaning no end of oily motorcycle parts in dishwashers. It is supposed to work a treat! Seeing as these are often aluminium alloy parts, the cleaners should be OK. Just rince it off afterwards with a light oil, I suppose . Not something I have tried though (the oven is fair game, however!). Maybe if you replace a dishwasher, you could re-cycle the old one as a parts cleaner!
Old 11th Dec 2004, 5:52 pm   #16
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Just lifted this one to the top again, as I have just put a tuning gang and some aluminium coil cans through the dishwasher.
I removed the rotor carefully from the tuning cap first; yes, I know how to adjust the rear bearing afterwards
Everything looks like new!! No corrosion - all the vanes and brass spacers gleam
I will assemble it with some moly grease on the bearings - will let you know in a couple of months if it works!