UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2004, 8:06 am   #1
McIntyre
Retired Dormant Member

Default 6 Volt vibrator receivers

What do you guys normally do with 6 volt battery receivers? I have one in my possession, a Philips 697VN, problem is that I would like to fully get it playing. As the set is no great collectable piece could one replace the vibrator pack with a modified mains tranformer and rectifier?

One couldn't really get a replacement battery as most car's now only run of 12V and the drain (propably around a 2-3 amps) would be far to great for small batteries.

Is it normal practice to disconect the vibrator, leaving this in place, rewiring the filament leads and running the set of an extrenal HT, LT source? Have thought of using an extrenal 6 Volt source, such as mains transformer, but the problem of high current and the introduction of different frequencies and slight AC ripple might, in my opinion to something to the vibrator. Don't know if I'm wrong! Any suggestions?

Andrew
Old 18th Nov 2004, 8:49 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: 6 Volt vibrator receivers

Andrew
Excuse the lateral thinking, but you could get a 6-volt car to put it in - early Beetle, Deuche, et al.
Old 18th Nov 2004, 8:58 am   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Andrew, 6 volt lead acids are still available from the likes of RS, but a power supply would also be OK.
If the vibrator is shot it is possible to get replacements sometimes, or it can be dismantled and the contacts cleaned. I have also run 12V vibrators with FETs as drivers, using the contacts only to operate the gates of the FETS. This would not work well at 6V due to the FET gate threshold voltage, you may however get away with bi-polars. Alternatively you may be able to re-wire for 12V operation.

Ed
Old 18th Nov 2004, 9:38 am   #4
McIntyre
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
you could get a 6-volt car to put it in - early Beetle, Deuche, et al.
My fault - let me explain a bit further this is a normal table standing wooden receiver about the size of a Defiant MSH353 http://www.vintage-radio.com/manufac.../defiant.shtml. These 6 volt receivers where popular in (SA) small farming communities where the national electrical grid did not reach - even as late as the 1950's I have being told.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 7:25 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2004, 11:28 am   #5
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
What do you guys normally do with 6 volt battery receivers? I have one in my possession, a Philips 697VN, problem is that I would like to fully get it playing. As the set is no great collectable piece could one replace the vibrator pack with a modified mains tranformer and rectifier?
Well, I'd like to keep the set as original as possible, so I'd either buy a 6v lead/acid battery or run it from a small PSU. The current wouldn't be inordinately large.

Quote:
One couldn't really get a replacement battery as most car's now only run of 12V and the drain (propably around a 2-3 amps) would be far to great for small batteries.
See the remarks made by other posters.

Quote:
Is it normal practice to disconect the vibrator, leaving this in place, rewiring the filament leads and running the set of an extrenal HT, LT source? Have thought of using an extrenal 6 Volt source, such as mains transformer, but the problem of high current and the introduction of different frequencies and slight AC ripple might, in my opinion to something to the vibrator. Don't know if I'm wrong! Any suggestions?

Andrew
I've got an "odd" Bush, a Receiver Broadcast Type A which was modified for 6V operation. I say " modified " because it's a standard AC chassis (that of the 1940 model AC71) which has had the PSU components omitted and a vibrator PSU substituted. As found, the set had an external PSU chassis fitted within the cabinet to supply "normal" HT and LT and the original 6V PSU went astray.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 7:26 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 18th Nov 2004, 12:47 pm   #6
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

What about using a Alkaline 'Lantern' battery. Energizer produce one 6V 24Ah.
Paul E
Old 18th Nov 2004, 2:50 pm   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
My fault - let me explain a bit further this is a normal table standing wooden receiver about the size of a Defiant MSH353 http://www.vintage-radio.com/manufac.../defiant.shtml. These 6 volt receivers where popular in (SA) small farming communities where the national electrical grid did not reach - even as late as the 1950's I have being told.
Ah - all is clear now - there was me thinking it was a car radio.
Reminds me of a colleague who, in the 1970s, rewired the heaters on a Bush TV53 and made an inverter so he could use it in his car!! Worked, as well
Are you reading this, Ian Wrethman?

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 7:27 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 18th Nov 2004, 4:12 pm   #8
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Andrew,

In my limited experience of vibrator PSUs they're nothing but a nuisance, being unreliable and throwing out a lot of RF noise. Opening and repairing vibrator packs is a challenge, but not one I've ever enjoyed.

I think if you want to have the set as it was in the 50s, and working, but only used occasionally, leave the vibrator and power it from a mains 6V PSU or battery.

If you want to use the set regularly, the vibrator is likely to prove painful, and you'd be better off taking it out of circuit and powering the set from a separate mains PSU.

Pete.
Old 18th Nov 2004, 5:04 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Most people using vibrator power supplies will replace the vibrator with a solid state multivibrator. You could hide the solid state components in the vibrator can if you wanted to, though obviously this is more work. You only need a couple of silicon power transistors scavenged from a PSU, scrap TV etc. The original transformer can be retained in most cases.

HTH, Paul
Old 18th Nov 2004, 7:30 pm   #10
McIntyre
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Most people using vibrator power supplies will replace the vibrator with a solid state multivibrator.
That seems like the best option converting it to 12 volts and using solid state - will prove to be an interesting challange for such an 'ordinary' receiver.

With it running of 12 volts it would still be far more portable than 6 volts - most car batteries being 12 : A pity though that NOTHING broadcasts in the MW band during the day

Andrew

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 7:28 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin
Old 18th Nov 2004, 8:25 pm   #11
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

6 volt s/s vibrators are available from Antique Electronic Supply in the States, so you shouldn't need to convert to 12 volts other than to make the set usable with a car battery!
Closed Thread