UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2021, 7:48 pm   #1
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Default Vintage HMV 105 Gramophone wind up issues

Hello,

I have the above gramophone and trying to fix it to sell.

The issue is this, when I try to wind up the gramophone it is stiff and just turns the turntable slowly. If I put the brake on, it is even stiffer and only winds up a little before you cannot go any further. When you then release the brake (without the turntable on) the spindle may turn a few times but slowly and then stops after a few cycles.

I have had a look underneath and yes there is plenty of grease here, I have cleaned a fair bit off but there doesn't appear to be much improvement.

Just wondering if there is anything else I can do? I am no expert at stripping these down but could do basic repairs.

Thanks guys
Old 20th Sep 2021, 8:38 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage HMV 105 Gramophone wind up issues

It sounds like the main spring is totally gummed up with hardened grease. The only solution is to completely remove the spring from the barrel for cleaning and re-greasing. It's a dirty and dangerous job if you're not experienced in doing them, so seeing as you only want to sell it on anyway, I would advise letting it go as it is, as people that collect and buy these things much prefer buying something that hasn't been inexpertly messed with and potentially spoilt.

If you keep trying to wind it when it's already fully wound and the spring turns are stuck together with concrete grease, you'll end up busting the spring and then it gets really expensive!

Don't try to put solvents into the barrel to dissolve the grease - trust me, I've had to use a woodworkers chisel on the entire length of an HMV main spring to remove the concrete grease...and that's after it's been sitting in a bowl of solvent for several hours!
Closed Thread