UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2021, 7:29 pm   #1
tracypaper
Octode

Default Sticker removal from record labels

Hi all.
Does any one have any experience or knowledge regarding the best and safest way (non damage to the label) of removing stickers or residue from record labels, particularly Black RCA Silver Spot from the 50s and 60s.
Hope this is in the correct section.
Gaz.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 7:33 pm   #2
whyperion
Hexode

Default Re: Sticker removal from record labels

I tend to leave them they are part of the history of where the disc has been , even the cursed charity shop stickers
Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:15 pm   #3

I use a smidge of margarine (any oil will do but marge sticks and is non toxic) and leave it for a few days, yes, a few days. The sticker will then lift off easily.

Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:18 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Lighter fuel is good. It takes a few seconds to soak through the label after which it just lifts off without leaving any residue.
Neil
Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:34 pm   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

Spike Milligan. I always feel sorry for bill stickers because he's always being prosecuted
Old 9th Sep 2021, 8:55 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

You used to be able to buy aerosol tins of self-adhesive label remover from Maplins. I now get mine from CPC or RS. That is what I use on my charity shop LP sleeves. It is also good for removing old cellulose adhesive tape (sellotape) or brown plastic adhesive parcels tape without damaging the paper. I use it when repairing old books that have had pages stuck in with these types of sticky tapes.

Never come across labels on discs themselves, other than on some of the (now lost) Edwardian-era 78's I used to play on a wind-up gramaphone as a child. Some of these did have adhesive stamps like small postage stamps on their labels, which I unscuccessfully tried to remove to use with my toy post office!.

Last edited by emeritus; 9th Sep 2021 at 9:08 pm.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 11:14 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

More recent labels can be removed with the aid of a hairdryer on low heat, which softens the glue.

Bit risky on the disc itself, though!
Old 10th Sep 2021, 7:58 am   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'm led to believe that commercial aerosol cans of label remover are basically lighter fluid but with an added strong smell of oranges to mask what it really is. Anyway, notwithstanding that I've always used label remover (Servisol) and found it to be excellent for the job. It does what it says on the tin..
Old 10th Sep 2021, 8:19 am   #9

The orangey stuff is limolene https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

Old 10th Sep 2021, 9:00 am   #10
Restoration73
Nonode

Be careful. Some export licensing stickers are gummed, and removal using water or
steam could damage the label underneath.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 12:04 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

Some years ago we needed some custom labels for work and I went to a local firm to have them made. It turns out that there are (at least) three different grades of adhesive, according to whether the label is to be removable or permanent. This is probably why some labels can just be peeled away cleanly by pulling on a corner, while others need the solvent treatment.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 12:29 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

I remember when I worked at Thorn we had official stores issued Kum-Kleen labels (not sure about the spelling) to apply to units to ID their status eg tested, repaired, U/S etc. To our never ending mirth they were anything but Kum-Kleen, they always left a layer of paper and gum on the object applied to.

Edit: Just a found a link, spelling is correct: https://www.avery.co.uk/about-us
Old 10th Sep 2021, 1:36 pm   #13

Quote:
Some export licensing stickers are gummed, and removal using water or
steam
That is where 'marge comes in, there is a bit of water in it handily held and not washing about.

Old 10th Sep 2021, 2:40 pm   #14
HECTOR63
Banned

Tin of 'Label Remover' from CPC is and has always been part of my service additions for many a year and never let me down-recommended.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 3:32 pm   #15
Scott5591
Tetrode

Lighter fuel is okay for newer fresh labels where the glue hasn’t hardened. However for older labels I find it useless and all it does is take off the paper part of the label and you’re still left with the yellow hardened glue.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 3:59 pm   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5591 View Post
Lighter fuel is okay for newer fresh labels where the glue hasn’t hardened. However for older labels I find it useless and all it does is take off the paper part of the label and you’re still left with the yellow hardened glue.
Given that label remover is the same stuff, I agree that that can happen. However, the residue is - depending on the underlying material - relatively easily removed either with a fingernail or some petrol.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 4:26 pm   #17
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I'm sure I recall someone saying previously that a tiny drop of WD40 worked well.

B
Old 10th Sep 2021, 10:47 pm   #18
Spec-chum
Tetrode

Never used it on record labels before but I know mayonnaise is a good adhesive remover, the oil in it breaks down the adhesive in about 15 minutes. Just apply some on the sticker, leave it for 15 mins, then wipe off with dry cloth. You may need to re-apply if it hasn't worked first time.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 11:36 pm   #19
whyperion
Hexode

I still stand by Copyright Stickers (yes as I child I removed them for stamp collection) and Purchase Tax Stickers should stay on record labels (and or sleeves). The 'Fake' Factory Sample stickers on Rolling Stones Decca releases (etc) . maybe less original perhaps should come off. Retailer stickers of the past (including 2nd hand / ex juke box stickers) seem like they should stay, even charity shop stickers - they can tell how the charities have changed names or logo designs over the last 50 odd years, records almost become like travel suitcases gaining badges of destinations - DJ Collections, Owners Collection stickers , Owners notes and so on, half of mine have felt tip on the labels from school discos. Then there are the John Bull rubber stampings - Record Libraries - Public or Broadcasting Stations.
Old 11th Sep 2021, 3:34 pm   #20
Records
Hexode

i have a lot of second hand LP's i collect a lot of late 60's 70's Country (Classic) I find many with stickers on them or even Biro written on the sleeve next to the tracks, I tend to just leave it all alone to me it's part of the history of the record.