UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2021, 7:13 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Pivoting cartridge clip

Hello everyone

I've just got this Garrard At60 and it has a Sonotone 21t cartridge (sadly dead). But the cartridge is mounted on a clip I've never seen before. It pivots back and forth and uses a spring to do this (see photos)

What's the purpose of this (self levelling I assume)? should/must I retain it when I mount a different cart? why didn't this self-levelling cartridge idea take off?

Look forward to your replies

cheers
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3429.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	238933   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3428.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	238934  
Old 7th Aug 2021, 10:19 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Pivoting cartridge clip

It's just the standard mounting clip for this cartridge, and is made of spring steel purely to make inserting the cartridge easier. Hang onto it, though, for as soon as you've thrown it away, another similar cartridge will pop up minus it's bracket!

Barry
Old 7th Aug 2021, 12:11 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I don't think it is at all standard. Note the 1/2" spaced bolts are fixed to a mounting plate BELOW the sprung cartridge carrier. New ro me.
Old 7th Aug 2021, 1:33 pm   #4
hayerjoe
Hexode

it's a difficult thing to photograph, but see attached. The very shiny thing under the clip is the start of a coiled spring which is about 15mm long, and runs to where the single hole is to mount the clip to the Garrard head

it pivots very easily. I don't like the idea of the stylus landing at a strange angle before the cartridge then flattens out via the spring, it's quite strange
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3431.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	238950  
Closed Thread