UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:30 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default B Bamber Electronics - what became of them?

They were based near Ely, Cambridgeshire, advertised in the likes of SWM and WW through the 1970s-1990s, selling a lot of 'surplus' components/equipment, testgear, used radiotelephones etc.

Anyone know what became of them? There's no evidence of them ever having a website and I can't see anything on Companies House about them ceasing trading.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 6:30 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: B Bamber Electronics - what became of them?

A report in the local newspaper discusses owners of the 'former Bambers electrical shop' being refused planning permission to convert it to houses, as it's in a conservation area.

The applicant was a Mr Lloyd Bamber. (dated 2005)
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 7:03 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

A bit of digging on Google Street View shows the address to still be a rather old-fashioned looking building with large 'shop'style' plate-glass windows, now with net curtains behind.

Also I found:

5th July 2017 Property sold for £240,000

This Terraced property is a Non-Newbuild and is located at 20 Wellington Street, Ely CB6 1PN. The most recent sale for this property was recorded on 05/07/2017 for £240,000. The earliest sale for this property was recorded on 05/07/2017 for £240,000.

And it appears to be on sale with planning permission: https://www.pocock.co.uk/property-de...t/littleport-9

I wonder what happened to the business? That there's no evidence of there ever being a website makes me think they probably ceased trading some time in the early 1990s. The lack of any trace of a website might explain why!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bamber.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	238072  
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 7:27 pm   #4

There where two Bambers in Littleport, the TV shop and the surplus "magic cave". I spent many a happy hour in the surplus shop circa 1970.

Old 22nd Jul 2021, 8:55 pm   #5
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Ted Bamber was a radio TV shop in Littleport near Ely not far from Brian Bamber who was the one in SWM and radcom. In the 90s I often visited his Anglia Industrial Auctions held usually monthly with a catalogue by post. Brian was a likeable character, sometimes coming across as a bit reclusive but I found him a honest and genuine person, but kept himself to himself. Occasionally to do a business deal could be a challenge.. He had a good sense of humour and sometimes if doing a "deal" it could take forever trying to haggle, with the conversation often drifting way off topic. I can honestly say I never heard him say anything offensive. The property consisted of the shop on the right of an archway, a terraced house to the left and a very large yard and car park at the rear. This is where a large steel frame building was erected for the auction business. There was a rear access road as well. I had a lot of respect for Brian, both in business and on a personal basis. I think it is around 20+ years now since I last heard of him so can only assume deceased as Google gives little information?
E&OE!
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 22nd Jul 2021 at 8:57 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 9:03 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Opposite the shop lived an elderly chap who often visited Brian to collect cardboard boxes. He resembled a vagrant when I first met him, but Brian assured me he was extremely wealthy and still making a fortune with stocks and shares. Brian used to save larger boxes for him.
Rob
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 8:02 am   #7
FIXITNOW
Octode

Still live up the road from his shop moved to Littleport in the late 80's sadly the shop was already shut by then. The building has remained the same ever since, but has been up for sale a few times, not sure why it's never been converted back to a house as most of the other empty shops in the village are now houses.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 9:08 am   #8
paulsherwin

Back on topic please.
Old 23rd Jul 2021, 12:00 pm   #9
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

B.Bamber, the radio surplus dealer, was at 5 Station Road Littleport. I think this is it. Nearly bought a Pye SSB130 in there but didn't quite have the money...

It looks like the site has been divided up now as 5A,B,C is shown on the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B_bamber.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	238111  
Closed Thread