UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2021, 12:03 pm   #1
Keith956
Heptode

Default TC366 rewind problem

The Sony TC-366 I've been renovating seems to have an issue with rewind. It is rather noisy during rewind, and a quick check shows that the main drive belt from the motor is touching the brake mechanism in this mode (see picture).

Now I can't quite see why this should be, or what needs to be adjusted to solve the problem. The brake is being positioned by the main horizontal metal bar moved by the selector knob and so can't be adjusted.

The belt position is governed by the idler wheel position, and that is touching the left spool wheel. Could it be that the rubber on the idler wheel has worn and no longer keeps the belt away from the brake?

Or am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3441.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	227588  
Old 25th Feb 2021, 1:15 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: TC366 rewind problem

At a guess, hardened grease somewhere on the linkage or the selector knob. These Sonys really suffer from this, I speak from experience!
Old 25th Feb 2021, 2:15 pm   #3
Keith956
Heptode

Thanks Ben, I have pretty much taken everything apart, cleaned the old grey muck off and put new grease on (superlube based on a youtube recommendation) then reassembled it. Also put new felt pads on the brakes and new drive belts. And rewind does work fine, I just didn't expect the belt to be touching (lightly) the brake mechanism.

I have this nagging sort of worry that maybe there's something I've done that might have changed the belt clearance but I can't quite see what, as the motor end of the belt is fixed and so is the brake mechanism.

Of course it might be that it has very tight clearance normally on rewind but maybe someone's got one that I can compare with...
Old 25th Feb 2021, 2:38 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Long time since I did one of these. I think the tired wheel moves to touch the hub. I suspect that the rubber has shrunk over the years and allowing the belt to be too close to the brake parts. Try adding a thin flat belt or even an elastic band to see if it’s better.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 2:43 pm   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

I have a TC377 so will try and take a similar photo for comparison.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 5:09 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

As I mentioned in your other thread, one of my TC-399s has the same issue of the belt contacting the brake in Rewind (although maybe slighly less contact than yours, so in my case not so noisy). The TC-399 mechanisms look pretty identical to the TC-366 in this area.

Very quickly comparing my problem 399 to another of my 399s which have reasonable clearance from the belt, I could not easily determine what the difference is that results in the belt contacting the brake in one of them.

I need to find some time to have a longer/closer look to see what might explain it.

David
Old 25th Feb 2021, 5:51 pm   #7
Keith956
Heptode

It may be as vidjoman says that the rubber on the idler has shrunk a bit over time. All I've done to the various wheels has been to apply Rubber Renue.
Old 25th Feb 2021, 8:34 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Checking my TC-399s I now realise that the reason that one of them touches the belt is because the top section of the Take Up reel table is not fitted, so allowing the idler wheel to move over to the left more and hence the brake moves more to the right (due to greater anti-clockwise rotation of the brake asembly) and brake contacts the belt.

Refitting the take up table, there now is a max gap of around 1mm between belt and brake, on the other unit around 1.5mm

Think that vidjoman's suggestion of idler tyre skrinkage may well be the cuplrit, as he suggests fitting a small flat drive belt/rubber band around the tyre should prove it one way or the other.

David
Old 4th May 2021, 8:47 am   #9
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Hi, I have a tc 266 as in the picture, the belt very slightly touches the brake, but my problem is that when in rewind should the control knob completely engage or do i need to hold it in rewind, at present rewind does not hold itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16201143645197956904436373270149.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	233225  
Old 4th May 2021, 8:55 am   #10
Keith956
Heptode

Trevor, see this thread - hopefully your issue is the same and adjusting the screw on the shutoff mechanism will fix it: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ighlight=tc366
Old 4th May 2021, 11:02 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes Trevor as per Thread above the control knob should stay engaged without having to hold it.

David
Closed Thread