UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:24 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Switching TVs on remotely ?

Prompted by a recent BBC news item from Japan. Apparently the Warning sirens were sounded during the night, and the TVs in private houses were switched on remotely by the authority's to broadcast a warning of Missiles.
I guess these were smart TVs, would it be possible in the UK ? Or were these sets special manufactured for Japan.

John.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:47 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Switching TVs on remotely ?

I suspect this has come in from some news agency and has been garbled in the process. Obviously a broadcaster can't turn on a TV if it's switched off. Maybe somebody mistranslated some Japanese text.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:57 pm   #3
ParcGwyn
Hexode

According to Wikipedia a number of consumer device (TV and radios) can be automatically switched on (if in sleep mode) by the Earthquake Early Warning system. On FM radio a tone is transmitted that is detected by the radio (in sleep mode) and automatically switches it on so the warning can be heard.

Dave

GW7ONS
Old 29th Sep 2017, 6:57 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I would think it needs to be built in to the TV and in standby.

For information I can turn my Sky box on from my iPad over the WiFi network so it’s possible a “Wake on LAN”, Over The Air, or similar comms link could do the same for a TV.
Even if I was not at home, if I was on a WiFi network I could set up the Sky box to record programmes from my phone. So controlling the Sky box does not take much of a step to controlling the TV.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:01 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

It was an interview with a Japanese resident who spoke very good English, and was very convincing. I think he was surprised this had happened. I would guess the set would have been left in standby.

John.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:02 pm   #6
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

I stayed at the Europa Hotel in Belfast in the 1980s and they had their bedroom tellies connected via a mains switch box so they could be turned on remotely for security announcements.

Obviously not the same system, but similar application.
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:48 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Probably this is Japan's "Zenkoku Shunji Keihō Shisutemu": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Alert

The US has a similar mobile-phone-based system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Emergency_Alerts
Old 29th Sep 2017, 7:51 pm   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I suspect this has come in from some news agency and has been garbled in the process. Obviously a broadcaster can't turn on a TV if it's switched off. Maybe somebody mistranslated some Japanese text.
If we assume that "switched off" means "standby" then anything is possible.
Graham.
G3ZVT
Old 29th Sep 2017, 8:26 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

My posh Sony ST-SB920 tuner (which cost of all of £7.50 on eBay) has something like this:

Quote:
If there is an emergency announcement by governmental authorities, "Alarm" flashes in the display
and the set will switch frequencies to receive the emergency broadcast, as well as switching the amp to the tuner input if it has an "EON control" connection.

But it can't switch it ON from off.

Nick.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 9:52 am   #10
Brigham
Octode

Another part of Orwell's nightmare comes true!
It was meant to be a warning, not an instruction book.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 10:41 am   #11
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

There are some very sophisticated tsunami warnings systems around the world.
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 11:48 am   #12
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Another part of Orwell's nightmare comes true!
It was meant to be a warning, not an instruction book.
I was informed by a local TV tech that one day a huge number of TV's in our area "locked up" with a frozen picture on the screen, I think they must have been "smart TV's". Most people didn't think to turn them on & off to reset them. Service calls overwhelmed all the local service centers. The sets were non responsive to their controllers and all showed the same TV presenter's face on the screen. The TV channel had been inserting data into the transmission and it was somehow recognized as a command.
Closed Thread