UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:30 pm   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Huntingdon Amateur Radio Club Rally at St Neots. See RSGB site for details.

Mods, please can you add this to the calendar?

Thanks, Rob
Old 19th Aug 2018, 10:17 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Huntingdon Amateur Radio Club Rally at St Neots. See RSGB site for details.

What date is it? Website page link?

We will add events to the calendar if they are a couple of weeks or more away, but there's no point when it's just a few days or less.

Please see https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148484

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th Aug 2018, 10:39 am   #3
Station X

Default Re: Huntingdon Amateur Radio Club Rally at St Neots. See RSGB site for details.

27 AUGUST 2018
HUNTINGDONSHIRE ARS ANNUAL RALLY
Ernulf Academy, Barford Rd, St Neots, PE19 2SH.
Talk-in with GX0HSR on 145.550MHz, free parking, admission £3, doors open 9am (traders 7am), hot meals and drinks on site, ice cream van, RSGB Bookstall, Bring and Buy, fine weather booked! M0OLG, 01480 214 282, events@hunts-hams.co.uk.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 4:01 pm   #4
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Thanks Paul and Station X. I will remember to post at least 2 weeks in advance in future.
Huntingdon rally is one of the best in the area (apart from my home club, Spalding)!
It is a shame that it is always 24 hours after Bletchley. You tend to see a lot of the same items. Car boot is cheap as well.
Rob
Old 21st Aug 2018, 1:31 pm   #5
greenstar
Octode

Can I just confirm as Rob implies, that there is a car boot sale area? This is the main attraction for me, but not mentioned in event listings. Some of the radio rallies are mostly new stuff on stalls and not much 'junk'!
My other question is, the info says 'doors open 9am', but I know from other rallies that you will be admitted if you arrive any time from trader entry time - hence by 'doors open' many of the bargains have evaporated - so, the question, are buyers allowed in to the car boot/bring and buy before 9am if they arrive early? Thanks.

Last edited by greenstar; 21st Aug 2018 at 1:37 pm.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 6:23 pm   #6
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

The car boot area includes a lot of trade stands as well. It starts as a fairly large hardstanding area and spreads out down the field. I have never seen them run out of space! Admission indoors is usually ok before 0900. I suppose if some traders are still setting up and carrying all their stuff in it may not be a good move to hinder them by browsing or trying to buy. Security of their stock is what they want to achieve. It is not like the National hamfest with zero admission without a valid pass.
At Horncastle rally, I had a box of new Spectrol Reliance 100k 10 turn pots go walkies. This was surprising as it is a small friendly rally and I recognise possibly half the visitors. Theft can be an issue at rallies and fleamarkets these days.
St Neots is not like some larger rallies with lots of new black boxes. Probably 2 or 3 stands selling used gear and new accessories, aerials etc for them. With good weather, should be lots to browse and maybe buy. Bring and buy table is really the club table, I think. Most people have a car boot. Car boot was I think £8.00 on the day last year. Virtually half what Rugby and Milton Keynes charged. If it is not £8.00, it is only a little more.
All I would say is check if the A1 is likely to be closed. It was on 19 August in this same area.
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 21st Aug 2018 at 6:47 pm.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 6:23 pm   #7
IanG3XYV
Pentode

I've been a number of times and can confirm there is a car boot area with plenty of "junk". Plenty of valves too. I never get there early enough to comment on entry before 9am though!
Ian
Old 21st Aug 2018, 6:47 pm   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Too early and you will be just stood around waiting for the non-trader car boots to arrive, those who often have the real bargains. Some have in the past not arrived until after 0930!
Rob
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 7:56 am   #9
FIXITNOW
Octode

I Agree the non traders are not usually there till about 9am
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 12:25 pm   #10
greenstar
Octode

That's great, it's a pain when trading begins long before public opening time. I find this at a couple of venues, like any car boot, making a very early start.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 5:27 pm   #11
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

I wonder if anyone can help please? I have an advance sig gen and Avo lcr bridge for member sinewave, Anthony. He is not able to get to St Neots rally to collec these 2 itemst. His location is Oxfordshire / Buckinghamshire border. Any kind person able to collect these from me at St Neots and take down to the area where Anthony lives please?
Thanks, Rob.
Old 28th Aug 2018, 8:43 am   #12
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Nice to meet IanG3XYV who is kindly transporting some test gear closer to sinewave, Anthony. Also bigtony with the CT537. At least no rain.
I was surprised that bigtony is someone I have met many times over the years without realising it.
Small world.
Rob
Old 28th Aug 2018, 9:44 am   #13
FIXITNOW
Octode

It was a good rally managed to pick up some good transistor radios and a 1920's set
Old 5th Sep 2018, 2:42 pm   #14
Sinewave
Octode

Just wanted to say, that although I was unable to attend the Huntingdon rally, I'm pleased that IanG3XYV helped me out by collecting the Avo bridge and Advance singal generator from Robinshack for me.

A big thanks to both Ian and Rob for making this happen. I'm especially pleased with the Advance signal generator, it appears to be fully working across FM and AM and it's just what I need for my projects.