UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2023, 2:22 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Dead Grundig Dh 2065 Dictation Recorder

Edit Update - 2022 in Title is incorrect, can the mods please change to 2065.

Today I have been trying to get this little portable hand held dictation recorder to work without any success.

After fitting 2 new batteries the red indicator (which I assume is a power on indicator) does not light and the function slide switch will not move.

With rear cover removed I have measured the battery voltage (>3V) is getting to the PCB artwork tracks.

Cannot find any instructions so am wondering if there is a special technique to get the function switch to move, does anybody have any experience with this model or similar ?

To try and work out why the function slide switch will not move would involve removing the PCB assembly which I cannot see how to do, it looks difficult.

Any ideas please ?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	279216   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	279217   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	279218   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	279219   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	279220  

Last edited by DMcMahon; 5th Jun 2023 at 2:25 pm. Reason: Edit update
Old 5th Jun 2023, 3:33 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Dead Grundig Dh 2065 Dictation Recorder

Check lid is closed. Also try pressing the the green studs as you move the switch (mine has two IIRC)
Old 5th Jun 2023, 4:06 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've seen a dictating machine where the function slider can be locked by sliding it sideways (I guess to prevent it starting up in your pocket/briefcase).May be worth checking if yours is like that.
Old 5th Jun 2023, 4:39 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Ben and Tony.

Same with lid open, closed and removed, visually can see nothing obvious with the lid that might mechanically interlock/lock the function slider.

Tried pressing the 2 green studs and the red button nearby but no joy.

I was thinking it could be an intentional safety lock rather than an actual fault, need to have a fresh look again.

David
Old 5th Jun 2023, 10:21 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

On picture no 5 there seems to be a connection on the PCB that's broken near the batteries. Don't think it'll make a difference to the switch but may cause the machine not to work. I would also look at the green switch next to the batteries as that may turn off/on the power.
Old 5th Jun 2023, 11:18 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well spotted. It just appears to be grounding the bottom cover, it electrically connects to battery -ve and other metalwork, on the anodised cover there is a small clean polished circle area that the sprung contact makes contact with, when the bottom cover is slid on.

The green sprung loaded button has a small raised detent that locks the top cover from being slid fully off, pushing the green button releases the detent from the cover and the top cover can then be slid off, to be able to access the batteries.

A few times intermittently by pressing the green button (s) at the function switch and/or pressing the red button near the function switch I have got it to power up, then Play, Fast Forward Wind and Fast Rewind all worked well, but no sound heard from playing tape.

Need to revisit this and work out what is occuring.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 5th Jun 2023 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Typo correction
Old 5th Jun 2023, 11:39 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
A few times intermittently by pressing the green button (s) at the function switch and/or pressing the red button near the function switch I have got it to power up, then Play, Fast Forward Wind and Fast Rewind all worked well, but no sound heard from playing tape.

David
I found a User manual for the Grundig Dh 2220 which is a somewhat similar recorder (but more comprehesive). This shows the red button near the Function selector slide switch is the "Dictate" (Record) button, so from this I don't think pushing the red button would have had any affect on getting the recorder to power up/operate.

So I think now it is just the green button (s) at the Function selector that are the culprits. The 2220 manual refers to a red/green button "switch on lock" at the Function selector to prevent accidental switch on.

David
Old 5th Jun 2023, 11:49 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

Clean the sprung contact on the pcb and the relevant areas on the lid. As I mentioned before, these machines don't work unless it is closed as it provides continuity., Yours is likely a bit oxidised though lack of use.
Old 6th Jun 2023, 9:40 am   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you Ben, I will clean the spring contact and the contact circle area on the bottom cover, I will also try to electrically measure that the contact arm does actually ground the cover. The contact and cover contact area look very clean.

I am not hopeful it will make any difference (at least to the tape transport operation) because yesterday when I had it working a few times, none of the covers were fitted, which demonstrates that it is capable of working with the bottom cover not fitted/not grounded

Obvioulsy there must be a reason for the cover to be grounded, I was thinking more along the lines of stopping the generation of any induced noise/hum pickup when the recorder is held in the hand.

David
Old 6th Jun 2023, 3:09 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Before cleaning the sprung contact arm and rear cover decided to have another look at the operation of the Function slide selector and red push button nearby.

The red push button is normally in the out position, when pushed it moves in, clicks and stays in (latched position).

The green button on the Function Selector when pushed from underneath moves up and occassionaly clicks and stays in the up position. When it stays in the up position this is the postion where the lock is removed from the Function selector and the selector can then be moved to any of its 4 positions. This is independant of whether the red button is in or out.

With the red button pressed in and and the Function selector slid to the Start/Play position, the red indicator lights up, as well as the tape starts to play. From identical description in the Dh 2220 manual this means that the red push button is the Dictate/Record button and the red indicator is the Dictate/Record indicator (not power on as I previously thought).

The red Dictate push button when pushed in stays in that latched position until the Function selector is slid to either the FFD or RWD position, this operation also agrees with the 2220 manual desription.

After spraying some IPA to the green button and exercising now have the green button reliably moving up, clicking and staying in the up/latched position. It is a bit arward, needs to be done with end of thumbnail.

The tape transport is now reliably working with or without the covers being fitted.

Tried a test voice recording using the internal microphone but on playback nothing heard apart from faint hiss at max volume setting.

So it looks like there is a problem with record or playback or maybe both. There is a Record/Playback IC on the PCB, a LA 4165, will have to scope that to see if any signals there.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 6th Jun 2023 at 3:15 pm.
Old 9th Jun 2023, 10:12 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Rear cover grouding contact and cover contact area cleaned. Continuity of the rear cover to battery -ve checked good before and after cleaning.

With all covers fitted did voice recording but as before no sound on playback apart from very faint hiss. Cleaned PB/Record head with no change.

Cannot spray contact cleaner into the record and play switches because cannot see the body of the switches.

David
Old 10th Jun 2023, 8:20 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post

The green sprung loaded button has a small raised detent that locks the top cover from being slid fully off, pushing the green button releases the detent from the cover and the top cover can then be slid off, to be able to access the batteries.

David
The green button also has to be pressed to release its detent pin so that the top cover can be opened to be able to insert/remove the Steno-Cassette.

David
Closed Thread