UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jan 2011, 8:48 pm   #1
JoshWard
Octode

Default Bush TV63

Hi all,
Well here it is, the third telly in the collection (the first is in my picture album and the second is awaiting cabinet attention).
It all started when looking for an Ekco T161 after getting outbid on one on eBay. My friend and fellow forumite Peter Sanders then contacted me about one on eBay in Somerset, saying he was passing down that way. Naturally I wanted it but what I wanted more was the Bush TV63 for sale by the same seller
I got outbid on the Ekco but the TV63 was mine for 99p and was duly collected and plugged in by Peter, he changed a couple of waxies and managed to get a test card out of it (despite me asking him not to play around with it until I was there ). The first picture is my encounter of the set at Peter's when I was down visiting Gerry. Most happy I was, and I counted down the days until yesterday when Peter turned up complete with TV63 (and a few radios but they're for future success stories....)
We wasted no time (well we did stop for lunch first) in getting it apart and I was most impressed with the Bush two chassis layout and pins connecting the lot together. Must have been a serviceman's dream. There were waxies aplenty and each chassis was recapped, switching on after the first to check that was ok and then doing the second.
In total the capacitors for the set came to about 90p (I buy little cheap red ones...) and the set was 99p.... So a fully working vintage TV for under £2

The cabinet was then given a cleanup, scratches filled in, woodworm had previously been treated by Peter, the knobs were washed in warm soapy water, the brass attacked with fine grade wire wool, the glass with AutoGlym Fast Glass and the cabinet with warm soapy water followed by beeswax polish.

This was a very simple restoration, largely thanks to being untouched and original throughout. I couldn't think of a better introduction to TV other than seeing the rewarding test card with Peter explaining what certain parts of the circuit actually did. Beats any TV22, not sure how the cabinet would like the snow though....

The picture is truly brilliant, for someone of my generation who never saw 405 being broadcast this is the only impression I can get of it and although it is coming straight from the Aurora and not broadcast across the country it does show to me what 405 is capable of.
Now time to wait for Mendlesham mast to be built in two years' time (1959) then I can get ITV on it

Huge thanks go to Peter and John W who have fuelled my interest in vintage TV (something I couldn't see the point in when I first started with radios...) and have both been very helpful and taught me an awful lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3554.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	44709   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3703.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	44710   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3704.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	44711   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3707.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	44712   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3709.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	44713  

Old 5th Jan 2011, 9:56 pm   #2
tedzed1
Hexode

Default Re: Bush TV63

Well Done Josh, it looks a cracking little set, AND all for TWO QUID

I think the day that i make the jump from radio to tv, should be sooner than later,
Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:01 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That is one nice picture on the set. Well done.
Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:03 pm   #4
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Paul,
I'm completely over the moon with it. Much more fun than spending my time out drinking and a lot cheaper too

Do the jump, so far I've found it to be simpler than radio as it seems as though you can see where the faults lie from what you get on the screen (of course there's a lot more too it than that but I've only just started.....)
Just don't be like everyone else and get a TV22. Something like this is cheaper, has a bigger tube and sounds nicer

Thanks Dave! Will put it downstairs in place of my parents' TV.....
Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:52 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Makes some of us wonder why people go to Dixrys and buy an LCD set with 20% VAT doesn't it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 5th Jan 2011, 10:55 pm   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Well done, its lovely to see one of those working, I spent many hours repairing those when they were new, we must have sold more than any other type, one of the first really mass produced sets. I have a picture of one on my workshop door - sad isn't it.

Peter
Old 5th Jan 2011, 11:34 pm   #7
stuie319
Pentode

Hi Josh,

Well I can see why your made up with that, it looks absolutely superb well done!
Brilliant result, and all for less than a pint!

Regards
Stu
Old 6th Jan 2011, 12:31 am   #8
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Lovely looking set and a great picture! Thanks for posting this

Brian
Old 6th Jan 2011, 1:10 am   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

What a result
You jammy i am watching a nice little pye on my doorstep, but getting too dear for my likeing!
I agree, the bush sets from this era give a cracking picture (yes ,i am old enough to remember 405 lines 'in the flesh'.)
Although i love restoring radios, tv's are much more of a challenge, but great to get life back into them, even more so for less than two quid!

Mark
Old 6th Jan 2011, 1:19 am   #10
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Very nice set you have there! 2 quid?!? why do I always get the expensive ones! Good work though, its got a good picture that has. I have a bakelite version of this And TV22's aren't that bad......

regards,
Lloyd
Old 6th Jan 2011, 7:51 am   #11
JoshWard
Octode

Thanks everyone

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more. This set + Aurora and a DVD player or freeview box will probably become my everyday TV. It's perfectly useable and it saves me from buying a new one as well

Peter- I wouldn't call it sad. At the end of the day you must have a great attachment to these sets after working on so many. I'd love to hear some more stories of people's experiences with TV63s.

Mark- I've always found any tellies around these parts to go for a lot of money, so far they've all come from other parts of the country

Lloyd- Sorry but for me the bakelite Bushes just don't have the appeal they have for other people. I could never justify spending such money on a TV22 or similar. Out of the lot the TV22 is my favourite bakelite Bush as it does have nice proportions but I'd still take the TV63 over it anyday. I must prefer wooden tellies

Josh.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 9:24 am   #12
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Nice to see a TV on this section . Its strange how some are so easy to repair and others... especially niggly little picture faults !
Old 6th Jan 2011, 9:24 am   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

Oh happy memories.....well done Josh. We had one of these for a while as a second set and it went on for years. I think we passed it on to a relative in the 70's at some point. I think that is a pull-down cover in the front to hide the pre-sets?

Now you've got the bug, this will probably be one of many.

405 gave excellent results. You need to seek out DVD's of some of the old programmes like The Avengers, Danger Man, Z Cars and old Dr Who to see these as we saw them......

SB
Old 6th Jan 2011, 11:29 am   #14
Andrewausfa
Octode

Well done Josh, that looks very nice. A small thing but I like the little touches, like the gold cabinet trim, that adds a bit of class.

Andrew
Old 6th Jan 2011, 5:48 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Well done Josh! Mind you I think you were ripped off for 99p but I expect you were a little over enthusiastic..
Nice simple sets but I must say the two chassis assembly system used is not the easiest to work on. The receiver should work well for many years. Regards, John.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 7:20 pm   #16
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Looks nice - well done.

So how did you fill the scratches? I have a similar colour radio that I'd like to tidy up!
Old 6th Jan 2011, 8:11 pm   #17
Panrock
Nonode

Good work Josh - well done!

From someone else who has just been reminded of the joys of sparkling-picture late '50s viewing (Philips 17TG100U).

Steve
Old 6th Jan 2011, 8:41 pm   #18
Retired
Heptode

Top marks Josh; a lovely looking set that will fit in anywhere; a fabulous two quids worth; I too am making the leap onto TV restoration and hope mine turns out as well as yours.

Kind regards, Col.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 10:56 pm   #19
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Nice one Josh. What a brilliant crt and superb looking cabinet. It reminds me of the 405 line pictures we watched as a kid on the last generation dual standard mono sets.
Old 6th Jan 2011, 10:59 pm   #20
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Sideband, Yes it's got a little pull down cover for all the controls. That is of course another way of learning about tellies and the circuits, just play with all the knobs and see what they do!

Agree with you Andrew, I love the style of the set with the little brass bits, lifts the overall appearance and makes it look very middle class

Thanks John, hmmm you may be right, 99p was pushing my budget at least.... It is of course possible to have both chassis' up and running with one out of the case, especially if you have a 5 pin connector lead with an old valve base which Peter has made up for you

Patrick- I simply covered the scratches with furniture 'pens'. They are essentially felt tips in three shades of brown. I got them from a local discount store and they work surprisingly well. You can also melt the wax from a capacitor into a deep scratch to fill it, and colour in as well.

Thanks Steve, now it's in my bedroom I'm just waiting a few days for it to get used to the warmer temperature then I'll be watching it as my main television. The newer one (mid 1990s Bush) is consigned to the bedroom cupboard until that becomes interesting

Thanks Col, I've been following your thread and it really is amazing the level you are going to with the cabinet etc. Outside of radio and TV I enjoy woodwork and am often making things out of offcuts of walnut etc I find at school. It will be fantastic when done, far better than anything I am capable of!

Thanks Simon, yes it seems as though I was lucky with the CRT. Plenty of brightness in it. I hope the person who outbid me on the T161 got a broken neck or a very flat tube....

I will warn you all now though, the next set has now been completed and it's just a little boxy early 50s woody radio. It is pretty though....
Success story on that tomorrow (after I've started on the next project in line....)

Josh.
Closed Thread