UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2005, 9:34 am   #1
jsel84
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 392 voltage problems Happy Ending

Just wanted to post this bit of info on the Philips 392 that I've been working on for the past few weeks and to thank all those that helped me find and work out some of the weird problems I had.
After changing most of the caps I thought this would be no problem.
I should have known after getting this radio at an afernoon tage sale the shape it was in should have told me the insides will be no better.
A great tip I got from theis site was to check the IF cans.
All the the cans with these thin small brass screws had a liner that held the ferite slug to the ajust screw. Little did I know that the glue or what ever all dried up and liners fell off the screws, so there was no ajustment.
After that I thought for sure I would be up and running.
Its a good thing I had the service sheet.
Some of the caps were so cracked I couldn't tell what they were.
I had problems with the tone and the loudnes of the unit. I thought for a while It was the out put transformer or falty caps, but all the voltages tested correct.
This is what led me to think about two .01 caps that I had changed.??
On my service page it was C80 and C78.
For a week I thought these were two caps in one. They had three leads, one on one side and two on the other. So I wired up two caps as I first saw them wired in the radio.
This drove me a little nuts and yes I am new at this and really don't know
as much as others on this site.
I was looking at these two caps and thinking why is there a square doted line around these caps going to ground?
It didn't make sence me the way I had wired them. At the same time the radio had no top end and not enough volume.
Then it hit me that Philips had a Shield around these caps and it was only one cap not two.
I resolded the caps in correctly and Now I have a great working radio, FM SW and AM all sound great.
Now off to restoring the case, that is a mess.
Thanks for the help guys and the tips I got on fixing the If cans.
Regards,
Jim
Closed Thread