UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2016, 6:16 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default GEC Battery Telephone

My best pal's father was a bit of a hoarder to say the least. When he passed away some years ago my pal had to empty a 6 x 8 shed that was stuffed floor to ceiling with what was mostly rubbish.

This GEC K7820 telephone was found although unfortunately it is missing both the transmitter and the receiver.

Some information on www.britishtelephones.com.

Can anyone add any info or comments?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2022.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	118285   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2023.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	118286   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2024.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	118287   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2025.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	118288   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2026.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	118289  

Old 11th Jan 2016, 6:35 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC Battery Telephone

The 4 terminals would seem to be :

ZE : Zinc and Earth -- one side of the line (Earth) and the -ve side (zinc) of the local battery

L : Line -- the other side of the line. It was not uncommon for these sets to be used with one wire linking them (between the L terminals of the 2 sets) and earth return (E connected to an earth spike or similar)

C : Carbon -- The +ve side of the battery for operating the signalling bells. How many cells you need depends on the line length

MC : Microphone Carbon -- The +ve side of the battery for the carbon microphone circuit. Too high a voltage here will lead to 'frying noises', so it was common to run the microphone off 2 cells (about 3V) I think and have a higher voltage for the bells. The 2 cells for the microphone were also part of the bell battery.
Old 11th Jan 2016, 8:14 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC Battery Telephone

With a carbon transmitter attached to the front a a "watch" receiver (so-called because it resembles a pocket watch) hung from the receiver hook, I have taken a simplistic approach and mine run very happily on a single 6V supply (using a 996 lantern battery) with "C" an "MC" strapped together.