UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2016, 4:02 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Loop Disconnect dialling from NTS London 8

Does anyone know whether it is possible to set an NTS London 8 PABX to use LD dialling on its outgoing lines? I can do this on a London 16 by changing a jumper on an exchange card, but I don't seem to be able to do the same on the London 8.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 4:27 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Loop Disconnect dialling from NTS London 8

Looking at the other (unfortunately non-functional) exchange card, the jumper present is marked MF-LD, but the equivalent (unmarked) jumper on the functional exchange card only seems to work in the position equivalent to MF. Maybe this exchange card is also faulty in that respect.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 9:13 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Dave

The cards are the same - there are two versions of the exchange line cards but no difference to the way they are used. Both versions had the link LD/MF. Have you tried the card in another location?

Brings back happy memories of 'London' courses with National Telephones at Camberley.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 10:30 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
The cards are the same.
Thanks for confirming this. It is good to know that they are interchangeable. I must admit that I haven't opened up the London 16, which connects my house extensions to BT and CNet, for quite some time, and certainly since long before I acquired the 8, so had misremembered its cards as being larger.

I shall, therefore, try swapping with one of the exchange cards in the 16, from which I don't need to dial out using LD anyway. The problem with swapping round the two exchange cards in the 8 is that the other position has a broken terminal on the connector block.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 10:47 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

There is also a third exchange line board about twice the size of the normal ones. This one had Meter Pulse Detection on it for reading what were 'Subscribers Meter Pulses' before BT withdrew them some years ago. Again you treat the board the same i.e. the same LD/MF link gets moved. All the MPD is dealt with by the board and output to the printer port. I had it on my London 8 at home. It had a rare form of software - known as 'multi-network routing. 91 got BT, 92 routed via Carrier B, 93 by Carrier C - it inserted the routing digits for other carriers such as 131 for Mercury followed by the programmed in password. That was in the days before the CLI was send forward to recognise the caller and ay before Carrier Pre-Selection. My how times have changed. Interestingly it was programmed such that if 999 was dialled it automatically routed out over BT without the need for other 'access' digits
Old 10th Jan 2016, 6:00 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Cards swapped - problem sorted. LD pulses being sent as requested, to interface MF 'phones with my mechanical PAX.