UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2023, 5:43 pm   #1
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default MoD Voltmeter - wiring arrangement?

Have just acquired an ex-MoD meter, scaled for 500V and with an external shunt - marked as shown.

Does anyone know what the wiring arrangement is for this?

The face suggests it may have some sort of built-in rectifier, and measuring across the meter terminals (carefully using the manual current-limited ranges of a DMM) shows something like 200kΩ in one direction and 500kΩ in the other. Seems a bit odd.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847D.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	278542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848D.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	278543  
Old 21st May 2023, 5:53 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: MoD Voltmeter - wiring arrangement?

A shunt would convert it to a current meter. Could it be a multiplier resistor? What does it measure resistance wise between the terminals?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st May 2023, 5:59 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Read what it says on the dial - 'Rectifier' and 'Use External Unit NFe'. Is it a thermocouple meter?

Andy
Old 21st May 2023, 6:20 pm   #4
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
A shunt would convert it to a current meter. Could it be a multiplier resistor? What does it measure resistance wise between the terminals?
Perhaps my use of the word 'shunt' was misleading - it measures 500MΩ series end to end.
Old 21st May 2023, 6:23 pm   #5
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Read what it says on the dial - 'Rectifier' and 'Use External Unit NFe'. Is it a thermocouple meter?

Andy
I'm sorry but I haven't come across a 'thermocouple meter' calibrated up to 500 volts. Can you explain?
Old 21st May 2023, 6:35 pm   #6
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

On the face of it, if you'll excuse the pun, I might assume the 500MΩ series resistor is just that and the meter contains a rectifier.

However, excuse me if I'm looking stupid, but it's a really nice meter and I'd rather seek guidance before trying anything.
Old 21st May 2023, 7:32 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I can make out the Ernest Turner Model 605 meter movement is 1mA-75 Ohms.

Maybe a 500k (or thereabout) external multiplier ?

The internal rectifier might be copper oxide which might account for the high resistance readings reported across the meter terminals.

Lawrence.
Old 21st May 2023, 8:19 pm   #8
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
So far as I can make out the Ernest Turner Model 605 meter movement is 1mA-75 Ohms.

Maybe a 500k (or thereabout) external multiplier ?

The internal rectifier might be copper oxide which might account for the high resistance readings reported across the meter terminals.

Lawrence.
Thank you Lawrence, that would make sense.

(P.S. typo in my post - it's a 500kΩ not 500MΩ multiplier.)
Old 21st May 2023, 11:26 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

The shunt resistor that sets the scaling of a moving coil movement to read current is obviously called a shunt

The series resistor to make a moving coil meter have the wanted voltage scale is unobviously called a burden resistor. A term not commonly used. Not a lot of people know that!

David
Old 22nd May 2023, 8:36 am   #10
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Not a lot of people know that!

David
I certainly didn't!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd May 2023, 9:30 am   #11
Trigon.
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The series resistor to make a moving coil meter have the wanted voltage scale is unobviously called a burden resistor
I think the vast majority would call it the 'multiplier'.

To me 'burden' is most often associated with current measurement?

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2023, 10:44 am   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigon. View Post

To me 'burden' is most often associated with current measurement?
I've always known ammeter and voltmeter range adaptations as shunts and multipliers, and 'burden' for C/T metering on power switchboards (1A metering burden or a 5A metering burden). The ammeter providing the burden being directly connected across the current transformer.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:00 am   #13
pmmunro
Octode

6SN7GT,

From you first photograph, its possible to see that this is a moving coil instrument.

The external component is a multiplier in three sections making up the 500Kohms which you measured. This should be connected in series with the basic meter.

500V divided by 500kohms gives 1mA which would be a normal fsd value for an ordinary moving coil meter, not a rectifier instrument as this one is. This neglects the voltage across the meter movement which, as stated above, is often the standard value of 75mV, but that is almost negligeable compared to 500V and would be allowed for in the calibration of either the meter or the multiplier.

A moving coil meter with a rectifier will read the average value of an alternating waveform but normally the required value will be the RMS one, SQRT 2 times the average - for a sine wave. The usual practice is to calibrate the meter assuming that the voltage to be measured will be sinsusoidal, but this might not be the case for a special purpose meter.

The next question is what would you like to do with your meter? If you want to measure sinusoidal voltages up to 500V rms, just connect the multiplier in series. For a lower alternating voltage scale the multiplier value down linearly and trim the exact value against the most accurate meter you have.

If you want to measure direct voltages, you could leave the rectifier in circuit and adjust the multiplier value to suit your needs.This will work down to 100V or less, but below that it would be better to remove the rectifier to avoid non-linearity.

The resistance values which you measure across the meter, without the multiplier, will depend greatly on the voltage applied by your resistance meter, and so may not help in calculations.

PMM
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:42 am   #14
Silicon
Nonode

The scale plate is marked 1967.

Silicon and Germanium rectifiers were available at that time.

If this meter does contain a diode, were there any technical advantages to using alternative devices such as Selenium and Copper Oxide rectifiers?
Old 22nd May 2023, 7:21 pm   #15
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
6SN7GT,

A moving coil meter with a rectifier will read the average value of an alternating waveform but normally the required value will be the RMS one, SQRT 2 times the average - for a sine wave. The usual practice is to calibrate the meter assuming that the voltage to be measured will be sinsusoidal, but this might not be the case for a special purpose meter.

....l.

PMM
The RMS to average ratio for a sinewave is pi/2sqrt2 or roughly 1.11 not sqrt2 which is ~1.414.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd May 2023, 7:35 pm   #16
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmunro View Post
6SN7GT,

The next question is what would you like to do with your meter? If you want to measure sinusoidal voltages up to 500V rms, just connect the multiplier in series. For a lower alternating voltage scale the multiplier value down linearly and trim the exact value against the most accurate meter you have.

PMM
Thank you for a very full response.

My precise desire is to create something of a conversation piece meter to display the mains voltage, so hence the purchase of a 500V rectifier meter, which therefore would sit at about 50% FSD etc.
Plus it's illuminated, which will add to the 'effect'.
Old 22nd May 2023, 7:52 pm   #17
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Unfortunately, my fears about the seemingly very high resistance has been confirmed by the meter being DoA with the series 500kΩ and brought up slowly on a Variac.

Nothing at all.
Old 22nd May 2023, 8:11 pm   #18
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Nothing to loose, try opening it up and check meter movement directly with a very low voltage and say 10K series resistor. It could be the rectifier (easily replaced with Si diodes

Ed
Old 22nd May 2023, 8:12 pm   #19
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Nothing to loose, try opening it up and check meter movement directly with a very low voltage and say 10K series resistor. It could be the rectifier (easily replaced with Si diodes

Ed
Absolutely - have suggested this to the seller as an alternative to return etc., as my desire is outcome not originality.
Old 23rd May 2023, 4:28 pm   #20
2000 type
Tetrode

Not much help, but a little digging for the Nato Stock Number finds that it was used in an item of Marconi Communications Systems equipment who catalogued it as W1S4285SH2-40.
Closed Thread