UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2022, 7:35 pm   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default 5 boxed 'Dulci' 70s AM radios @ Hitchin Market

A nice surprise to find Five 'Dulci' branded pocket AM radios at Hitchin Flea Market this Friday. All in their boxes, complete with those tinny earpieces.

I think I owned one at some point in the 1970s, but not with that brand name.

The tuning dial has fallen off inside the white one.

No idea if they work but the asking price is £30.......each.

(No connection with the seller - but hopefully he's there regularly if you wanted one)

SR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dulci Radios.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	269660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dulci 642 box.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	269661  
Old 11th Dec 2022, 12:24 am   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: 5 boxed 'Dulci' 70s AM radios @ Hitchin Market

I paid £3:19 new for one of those back in 1980
Old 11th Dec 2022, 2:11 am   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

Those radios were everywhere in the 70s and 80s. They were very cheap. In the 80s I bought one for £1.99 in Bristol fruit market (near Temple Meads station). It had an intermittent fault (bad solder joint) - I fixed it!

Another shop in Bristol and also at Barry Island, south Wales called Hyper Value sold them branded "Hyper Sound". They had other "Hyper" products too, like clocks ("Hyper Time"). I bought a Hyper calculator from there. It seems the factories in Hong Kong would put any name the buyer wanted on them.

Some more examples on this forum's sister site: https://www.vintage-radio.com/manufa...t-trannie.html

As well as different colours, some had different electronics inside. Some have audio input / output transformers; my £1.99 bargain had a transformerless output stage.
Old 11th Dec 2022, 3:29 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Those little radios were available almost everywhere in the early-70s; corner shops, supermarkets, market-stalls and newsagents used to stock them.

I had one with a black case and the frequency-markings on the dial were in red; it was branded "Satellite". It was a full superhet using the Ferranti-style 'jelly-bean' brown epoxy-encapsulated transistors for the FC/IF stages and two TO18 type metal-cased transistors for the two-transformer-type push-pull output stage. Probably 100 milliwatts or so of output, powered by a PP3.

I was living in the Wales/Shropshire Borders at the time, this little radio could easily get Luxembourg after dark.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 7:17 pm   #5
Panda23
Pentode

Seeing this photo takes me back to Christmas in the 1970's, my sister and myself received the khaki coloured radio from Santa, this is the first time I have seen one since then, thank you..
Old 21st Dec 2022, 11:55 am   #6
Panda23
Pentode

Good Morning I have been in contact with my sister and she says it was a similar radio we received, it was a Benkson radio here is a photo of one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221221_105031.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	270188  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 4:48 pm   #7
Robsradio
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda23 View Post
Good Morning I have been in contact with my sister and she says it was a similar radio we received, it was a Benkson radio here is a photo of one.
I had a very similar Auritone in 70s beige, it would be nice to track one down, happy memories of Luxembourg on 208m and a flat battery in the morning after nodding off and leaving it on!
Old 22nd Dec 2022, 3:41 pm   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsradio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda23 View Post
I had a very similar Auritone in 70s beige, it would be nice to track one down, happy memories of Luxembourg on 208m and a flat battery in the morning after nodding off and leaving it on!
Thats jogged my memory in as i think i had one myself but was badged a Vantone not an Auritone.
Would that be correct? a Vantone?