UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2012, 6:53 pm   #21
KW2000A
Triode

Default Re: This forum

Three pints for ten pounds? I wish......But whatever is decided - the accumulated wisdom in this forum must not be lost. I'll go with GJ's idea in post 12. Or indeed any reasonable idea - there is,after all, no such thing as a free lunch especially in todays' economic climate!
Phil
Old 25th May 2012, 7:12 pm   #22
howard
Nonode

Hello,

It would be a great shame if this forum were to close and a great loss of knowledge and indeed friends here too.

I think the anticipated annual cost of running the forum should be calculated and then we all pledge an amount towards that cost. If enough is pledged then we pay up probably into a PayPal account and the forum is saved for another year. I would have thought that most regular contributors could afford say £5-£10 ?

Howard

Last edited by howard; 25th May 2012 at 7:24 pm.
Old 25th May 2012, 7:14 pm   #23
davidw
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
ask a simple question ... 'would you be prepared to make a contribution towards the running costs of this forum?'
Yes definately
Old 25th May 2012, 7:35 pm   #24
thermionic
Heptode

I think an annual fee would do the trick. It is how it's collected and managed that could be the problem. This could generate even more work for Paul, when he needs to concentrate on his core business.

However, on a positive note, it would weed out a lot of people who join, post a couple of times and then don't come back. A subscription only forum is the way to go, and I would be very happy to pay. Whether this is integrated into the BVWS, needs careful consideration. Perhaps membership of the BVWS would automatically give you access to the forum, and this could also bolster the BVWS membership even more.

This needs to be carefully considered, as to loose this forum would be an absolute disaster. Many thanks to Paul for providing this facility, gratis so far.

SimonT.
Old 25th May 2012, 7:37 pm   #25
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I will happily cough up an annual subscription - it's cheaper and more informative than Practically Witless....
Old 25th May 2012, 7:45 pm   #26
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

I hadn't realised that funds were starting to become a problem as this forum has grown, but now I think about it, it's no surprise.
I'd be very happy to pay a subscription or donation.
To put it in perspective, another (well-known, commercial, dating) website I'm on is £60 a year yet still shows adverts to paying subscribers and is offline more often than this site.
Old 25th May 2012, 7:51 pm   #27
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

My ten pounds is here waiting to be taken, I spend more than that at the local shop before work during the course of a week.

Rob
Old 25th May 2012, 8:05 pm   #28
vinrads
Dekatron

Ok let's have a show of hands, count me in for £10.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:06 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The forum software does have a subscription manager system with payment options including Paypal. Options for different prices for different subscription lengths, and to change usergroups (thus adding options such as more PM storage, custom titles, access to extra sections etc) to subscribers. So from a technical point of view that approach is possible without too much work.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 25th May 2012, 8:06 pm   #30
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I would also be quite happy to go along with JG's suggestion and Howard's comment is very pertinent.

I have no idea what would be needed to let Paul increase the capability of his primary provider. I gather his concern is that the load from the Forum compromises the business that gives him a living. We should never accept this.

It may not be just a matter of money. If it is just cash, the amounts mooted so far, should not be too much of a burden. My contribution is also ready. Let me know how to send it.

Voluntary contributions seem better than a formal charge. Formal subscriptions just introduce more work for the organisers. My experience of the Forum is that there are enough members of integrity and generosity for it to work.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:11 pm   #31
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
I think an annual fee would do the trick. It is how it's collected and managed that could be the problem. This could generate even more work for Paul, when he needs to concentrate on his core business.

However, on a positive note, It would weed out a lot of people who join, post a couple of times and then don't come back... .
Is that really a positive thing? Seems to me that a good many folks are just here for a short while to good effect, whether they're in search of information or have some items for disposal. For all kinds of reasons I'd favour membership of the forum remaining as generally open as it is now. So much the better, I would say, if we as members can between us defray hosting costs in full without anyone having to monitor who has contributed what sum of money. Seems bananas to me if the hundreds of hours weekly that are spent reading, posting and moderating this place are in any jeopardy for the sake of, what, twelve quid a week? There won't be a completely non-time-consuming and uncontroversial way of collecting subscriptions and weeding out non-payers, some of whom might be folks genuinely on their uppers or lacking PayPal accounts but as likely as anyone else here to be able to contribute help or information. And none of us would gain by excluding all 'casual' participants, when the forum itself may for some individuals be the very thing that introduces them to radio repair and restoration as worthwhile and viable pursuits.

Open the jar, I say, and let's see what we can put in it in a fortnight With PayPal subscription facility for anyone who cares to commit to a regular contribution and be saved the bother of thinking about it again unless or until he needs or wants to withdraw.

Paul
Old 25th May 2012, 8:13 pm   #32
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

Rather than make it subscription, how about you just have a donate button? That way you wouldn't exclude anyone, and hopefully those people that value the site and can afford it would donate.

If funds are getting low at any time you could post a request for donations and we could chuck a few more quid in the pot.

You could try it (I'll put a tenner in to start it off), see how it goes, and if it doesn't work, move on to plan B.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:19 pm   #33
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

I would be happy to contribute something to keep the forum going. As others have said, contributing should only give very limited privileges: we don't want "I have paid so I can say what I like!". Any tie-up with BVWS would need to make provision for non-members.

Ideas:
1. an indication of how donations are doing compared to the required budget, so we know when it needs a topup.
2. some mechanism so mods don't know who have contributed, so it can't influence their decisions about posts.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:22 pm   #34
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

With you Patrick
Old 25th May 2012, 8:24 pm   #35
DragonForce
Retired Dormant Member

Well I suppose lots of people want stuff for free - its the nature of the beast.

I have a website, thats 10 Gb storage and unlimited bandwidth. It does not cost anything like £100 per year to maintain, maybe you need to change your hosting company Paul, I'll happily provide you with the details of the company I use.

If you start to charge for basic access to the board, I feel you will lose an awful lot of members, so maybe a fee for the advertisment section is the way to go.

You and the moderator team do a good job - I speak from experience since I am a forum moderator myself on two other boards. As you say, you cannot please all the people all of the time, and let's be fair here, when people join, they agree to the rules - there simply cannot be an arguement about that. As long as the rules are fair and their enforcement consistent, then that's really all you can do.

The hobby of radio and electronics is in a decline. I know this, as does everybody else - gone are the days when people knew of three or four local suppliers of everyday bread and butter components - now we all have to use mail order.

If you close this board, its just another resource lost forever. The world will not end, but most of us would feel a huge sense of loss, to say nothing of future generations' potential interest. BUT, it is your board, you do with it as you see fit. Maybe some of the people already here will take it upon themselves to start a new board.

What we take for granted in 2012 will be history in 2013, and who knows - irreplaceable in 100 years' time! We (and the hobby) need boards like this.

Just my 20p worth.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:24 pm   #36
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
  1. Charge some sort of membership fee for the use of the forum, or some parts/features of it.
How about a modest charge for the use of the popular "Sets and Parts Offered" section, say £1 per item or a percentage of the sale price, For items offered free maybe the lucky recipient could contribute. Revenue could be collected via the existing service data payment system.
I have no objection to a membership fee, whether voluntary or otherwise, A bargain for the wealth of information the forum contains.

Regards, Mick.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:26 pm   #37
eric8650
Pentode

My £10 is here waiting to be sent.

It would be a pleasure to pay to be on this forum.

Dave
Old 25th May 2012, 8:40 pm   #38
Radio Wrangler

Count me in.

This is a pleasant and helpful community 'Where seldom is heard a disparaging word, and TV's and oscilloscopes play...'

This sort of help and encouragement doesn't have a financial price, but connection bandwidth and server space does.

Someone else put it better:

All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

David
Old 25th May 2012, 8:46 pm   #39
glowinganode
Octode

May I suggest the buyer rather than the seller should pay the nominal transaction fee.
This alone may generate enough income to avoid charging for membership.
I'm more than happy to contribute, though I'm not sure an annual fee is the way to go for the reasons others have stated.
Rob.
Old 25th May 2012, 8:55 pm   #40
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Paul cannot rely on running this forum at no ISP cost for the future. This forum has enough user support and a first class reputation to be able to meet the likely ISP costs from donations. I did this with the Eddystone User Group website which is now 6 years old. You do not want the hassle and expense of running a membership organisation. Make it free to all as it is now and rely on donations to meet the expense. You will be surprised how much of the good will that is clearly enshrined in this site will be turned into cash to meet running costs.

Chris G0EYO
Closed Thread