UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:18 am   #41
bluepilot
Heptode

Default Re: 1970 UFO TV prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Twizzle
Four Feather Falls
Supercar
Fireball XL5
Thunderbirds
Stingray
Captain Scarlet
UFO
Don't forget poor old Torchy. (Torchy, Torchy, the battery boy ...)

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:51 am   #42
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Meanwhile Anderson's former partners were having a go themselves, this is probably the only place you will see it..enjoy 'logic' and Martina Breswick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVe-rT4TpJI
Old 17th Feb 2019, 12:45 pm   #43
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

In the Railway Pub in Rammy during the eighties, a group of fairly grizzled regulars, unexpectedly, all knew the answer to a quiz question, What was the Indian Chief's shout in Four Feather Falls? "Kallamacoolia" [I can't guarantee the spelling]. It was considered hysterically funny that these roughnecks remembered an obscure Childrens TV program. It then became a major aspect of social life as whenever something outlandish happened [that was often] a tray dropped, a drink spilled or there was a confrontation, the whole pub would erupt into this Red Indian War Cry led by Terry the landlord [a Thwaite's Brewery version of Basil Fawlty.] It really created a good atmosphere and generally defused any potential aggression. Sort of what we would now call a "Flash Mob" perhaps. Fondly remembered! When I was at school we often used Dr Beaker's response to each other as when he made a bit of a mess of things ie "Now Who's A Fool" and a role of the eyes. Wire rimmed spectacles helped as well.

Dave

Yes "Torchy, Torchy The Battery Boy-He's a 'Walkie/Talkie' Toy" [Get-it?]

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Feb 2019 at 1:04 pm.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 12:46 pm   #44
CathodeBias
Triode

Ha, excellent find. great to find new material after all these years. Thank you cheerful.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 1:39 pm   #45
stuarth
Heptode

I watched a few episodes after being prompted by the thread, and was surprised to see Lois Maxwell as Straker’s secretary. Perhaps she wanted to avoid being typecast as the secretary to the head of a secret agency and took the role of .... oops.
There was also another Bond character, Kronsteen, but on the side of the good guys this time, and Windsor Davis.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 2:02 pm   #46
bobsterkent
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
Meanwhile Anderson's former partners were having a go themselves, this is probably the only place you will see it..enjoy 'logic' and Martina Breswick
Good Grief... its Mr Derek! (whoops slipped into basil brush
Old 17th Feb 2019, 2:30 pm   #47
ITAM805
Nonode

The first record I ever owned was the theme from 'Fireball XL5' bought for me by my old Mum in 1962.

The flip side was my favourite, another Barry Gray corker Zero G !

I disposed of it as an embarrassed teenager after a chum was looking through my record collection and found it, and mercilessly mocked me
Old 17th Feb 2019, 3:08 pm   #48
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Not as embarrassing had it been this thankfully unused version though.

http://ufoseries.com/barry/thunderbirdsUnusedTheme.mp3

Also Barry Gray, and the vocalist was Gary Miller who sung Aqua Mari(n)a as well as the theme for Robin Hood.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 3:11 pm   #49
Richard_FM
Octode

Barry Gray wrote a lot of very nice music for most of Gerry Anderson's shows, I have a CD of most of the themes along with some tracks of background music.

Also included is the mini audio episode Parker, Well Done.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 9:39 pm   #50
dave walsh
Dekatron

I'm always saying that I study coincidence. Decided to watch Endeavour tonight as it's set around the time of the moon "landing". Turns out to feature a Gerry Anderson type production company with associated puppetry The deceased female Scientist went to Oxbridge at the age of 12. [That was a real news story they got the idea from I expect though-I won't mention her name]. On from the beginning at 9pm [ITV+1].

Dave
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:52 pm   #51
jayceebee
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
Did anyone else spot Jan Leeming at 6:50?
Old 17th Feb 2019, 11:06 pm   #52
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectamart View Post
I have the boxed DVD sets fo all Gerry Anderson series from Supercar through to UFO. The latter was the first series to feature live actors; however, I must confess that I much prefer Thunderbirds.
Yes, I thought Thunderbirds was brilliant when I was a kid. When UFO came along I found it a bit dull and disappointing. I was way too young to be in the target audience for UFO but I do remember 'trying' to watch it. My memory of UFO is the really exciting and dynamic intro with its equally exciting soundtrack... but then each episode turned into 'Crossroads in Space' with hardly any of the excitement promised by the dynamic intro each week.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 11:43 pm   #53
dave walsh
Dekatron

I agree with you Jeremy but you seem to have [unintentionally] "Cross" referenced Gabrielle Drake Re Cross Roads [post 25*] yet another coincidence Nobody saw Endeavour then? "Living In The Past" Jethro Tull.

Dave
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:43 am   #54
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsterkent View Post
Good Grief... its Mr Derek! (whoops slipped into basil brush
Ha yes..and did you spot Jan Leeming (later newsreader) at the desk?

great fun though eh?
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:52 am   #55
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathodeBias View Post
Ha, excellent find. great to find new material after all these years. Thank you cheerful.

Another failed show for your entertainment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_QBaZVMxhQ
Old 18th Feb 2019, 6:37 pm   #56
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Thank's for that, I had heard of the title, but don't remember the show.
The theme can only be Derek Hilton, and the three-note intro, plus the animated graphics evoke "Criss-Cross Quiz", what could be more "Granada"?

I can also tell you that the location of the clip was a stone's throw away from here in Heaton Park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	heaton park.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	178634

Here is a picture I took of that GPO so-called "Chilterns" tower in about 1964
Click image for larger version

Name:	6532750389_1b9ae0f1f8_o.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	178635
Old 21st Feb 2019, 6:00 am   #57
Focus Diode
Octode

I'm very bored with the earlier puppet shows nowadays, nothing wrong with them but like The Beatles' Sgt Pepper LP I've seen/heard them far too often to wish to see them again.

UFO is an exception, some terrific episodes, notably the last few many ITV regions relegated to late night viewing as they were considered to be too adult for an earlier audience.

Witness the other stories such as, 'Confetti Check A-OK' about Straker's marriage and its subsequent breakdown and its follow up, 'A Question of Priorities. Heavy going stuff.

One thing I've not seen since 1974 is the break bumpers which I recall being the UFO zooming in with the words UFO forming with music first heard on the Thunderbirds Sun Probe episode. The other break bumper had the UFO zooming away. Sadly the DVDs don't include them.

The end theme was first heard in the Fireball XL5 episode Mystery of the TA2.

Also worth looking out for the film, Journey to the Far side of the Sun (Doppelganger) which features much of the UFO cast.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 6:06 am   #58
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubhead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
I managed to find this on you tube a year or so ago...
yes it did bring back memories. ( but I did watch it originally in black and white not colour ).
Other television series from the early 1970's I have found have been Time Slip ( I think ? ) and Catweazle.
Time Slip is correct, the entire series is on DVD. Sadly though they were all made in Colour only one episode is still in colour.
On the DVD collection is an update showing how the cast looks all grown up. The place it was done is now a housing estate!
Not quite as four out of six episodes of the last story were made during the colour strike and commenced with the rare B&W version of the zoom ident on their original 2" transmission tapes.

Just to be confusing the Burn Up story was colour throughout but shown during the colour strike. They had their full colour debut in 1974 which looked wonderful.

You're right about one episode surviving in colour though. The others survive as export b&w film telerecordings under the ITC banner.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 7:30 am   #59
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
I'm very bored with the earlier puppet shows nowadays, nothing wrong with them but like The Beatles' Sgt Pepper LP I've seen/heard them far too often to wish to see them again.

UFO is an exception, some terrific episodes, notably the last few many ITV regions relegated to late night viewing as they were considered to be too adult for an earlier audience.

Witness the other stories such as, 'Confetti Check A-OK' about Straker's marriage and its subsequent breakdown and its follow up, 'A Question of Priorities. Heavy going stuff.
Coincidentally I watched this episode (Priorities) last night. It's clunky as usual (though good) but a pretty heavy story. Makes me wonder now, all these years later, just who UFO was aimed at. It certainly isn't a kids programme at all...

If I was a studio looking for an 'on trend' new series I might do a double take at this UFO stuff. But I wouldn't touch the UFO models...they are perfect.

Amusingly in this episode George Sewell claims the alien, using a colourful plastic assembly kit and a perspex antenna a foot high, is transmitting a signal of "fifteen hundred megawatts". Health implications aside, as a radio amateur i want that technology. Dear old George of course, luvvy that he was, hadn't a clue, so kept a straight face.

Brilliant.
Old 21st Feb 2019, 8:28 am   #60
Viewmaster
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
Because of the video nasties storm-in-a-teacup in the '80's, quite a few horror films passed me by and i'm only seeing them now (on the horror channel.)
Keep an eye on Talking Pictures freeview channel 81 too.
Old B films aplenty.
Closed Thread