UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Sep 2016, 7:59 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default BBC "Third Program(me)" 70th anniversary.

Some of you may be interested in this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/thirdprogramme/

A redux on the 70th anniversary of the "Third Program(me)" - AKA Radio3 - some of the discussions are rather interesting regarding how the initial idea of the 'third' was to mix music, speech, poetry, discussion and such in one stream - "giving people what they didn't know they wanted" as one of the patrician bigwigs expressed it in the early days.

[Other commentary here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/radio/wha...ught-and-said/ ]

There was the 'pyramid' concept: 50% of people would listen to the Light Program, 40% to the Home Service, and 10% to the 'Third'. As time went on rather less than 5% of the audience were tuning-in to the Third - either because of the unapproachable content or because signal-coverage for the channel was rather less-than-spectacular [and if you want to listen to classical concerts etc you need a good solid signal].

Either way, the series of program(me)s associated with the anniversary of "The Third" is worth listening to.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 27th Sep 2016 at 8:15 pm.
Old 27th Sep 2016, 8:16 pm   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: BBC "Third Program(me)" 70th anniversary.

Avid Radio 3 listener here, I despair at how few peole (as the population goes) listen to this excellent station.
Thanks for the link, most interesting.
Old 27th Sep 2016, 8:24 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I listen to Radio3 on and off, but only when there's something significant on offer [I'm a fan of 1960s/1970s minimalism].

[When they wander off into abstruse discussions on the social evolution of the scales used in Balinese nose-flute music, I tune back to Classic-FM or Absolute Radio]

Content notwithstanding, I find it deeply intriguing to learn more about the underlying politics and philosophies over the last 70 years which got us to where we are today!

Listen, and Learn (even if you may not always Agree).
Old 27th Sep 2016, 8:33 pm   #4
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I listen to Radio3 on and off, but only when there's something significant on offer [I'm a fan of 1960s/1970s minimalism].

[When they wander off into abstruse discussions on the social evolution of the scales used in Balinese nose-flute music, I tune back to Classic-FM or Absolute Radio]
I agree, as the range of Radio 3 is so huge there is always going to be times when some of it is uninteresting or simply hard work.
Their "Composer of the week" is a highlight for me and I always enjoy the stations presenters, never jarring and intelligently informal.
Old 27th Sep 2016, 10:31 pm   #5
ITAM805
Nonode

When I've just repaired an amp, I usually leave it running for several hours on test with my old Philips portable plumbed in as a source, tuned to R3 - but otherwise I never listen to it
Old 28th Sep 2016, 9:25 am   #6
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

I also listen only to Radio 3. As said the presenters are relaxed and well informed as well as being musicians in their own right. I've tried radio 2 occasionally but after a few miniutes I have to switch it off as the continual talk over the music as well as the 'public interviews' really annoys me

Malcolm
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 7:51 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm more eclectic and listen to lots of outlets but mainly 4, 4 xtra, 6Music and 3-Radio Lancs in the North of course. There's been a lot of R3 programs already re the Anniversary. I particularly liked the story that, when Three was being set up as a "Re-brand" the contemporary version of a "Focus" Group in 1946 suggested various exotic versions titles for the new service which dismayed the BBC Board of Governors no end. The Pragmatic DG of the time said I don't want any of those. It will be the Third Program choice for listeners so that's what we will call it! Smiles all round.
It reminded me so much of the W1A [Comedy allegedly?] episode where the outside [costly] Dim Consultants come up with a Star Shaped "new" Beeb Logo that turns out to be an existing religious symbol

Dave W
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 8:52 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

There was a joke I can't entirely remember, likening radios 1,2,3 and 4 to the thunderbirds of the same numbers.

Radio 1 got there first with everything, Radio 2 was slow but did the heavy lifting, Radio 3 shot off into space and wasn't heard by many people.

Has anyone got the whole thing?

David
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 9:46 pm   #9
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Often listen to Radio 3, especially at night time when I'm trying to nod off. Came in handy during a three-month stay in hospital; 'Late Junction' would usually drown out the sound of noisy nurses, and coughing, farting and shouting patients, to the degree that I would be asleep within about 30 minutes. Beats Zopiclone any time!
Closed Thread