UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2016, 9:04 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Radio Xtals - how it's made

An interesting WW2 colour film showing the fantastically labour intensive process involved in making crystals for the war effort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy23Us3nrX8
Old 15th Sep 2016, 9:10 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Xtals - how it's made

Very good, that... Crystals were made during WWII at a specially-built factory at Workington, Cumberland, by the Thermal Syndicate Company. The process was moved down to Henlow as the war came to a close and several staff were transferred down for the duration to train the Henlow lot.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 15th Sep 2016, 10:14 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that.

We came across a lot of quartz crystal when I was mining, sometimes after blasting a stope bench or a tunnel round a vug would be exposed and once washed down with water it was truly a sight to behold and quite magical, often filled with other crystals such as Cassiterite (tin) Bismuthinite (bismuth), Galena (lead), Iron Pyrites etc, the latter two were used a lot as early crystal detectors.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 15th Sep 2016 at 10:14 pm. Reason: spellin
Old 16th Sep 2016, 2:06 pm   #4
G4YVM David
Heptode

Very interesting. I am intrigued by the idea of "pie-eezo electricity". Can this still be obtained

David
Old 16th Sep 2016, 4:18 pm   #5
G4XWDJim
Octode

Excellent film, thanks for finding it but I was shocked at how hazardous the process was for the ladies working there. Only one person wore gloves and all were dipping their hands in water that was washing off etching fluids.

Some were hand grinding crystal blanks with an exposed wheel. I suppose those of us of a certain age have done similar things many times but in these days of H & S it felt shocking to see.

I didn't see a date but 10X crystals were wartime. I just wonder in my large stock of crystals do I have any from that company, Reeves? I would have liked to have seen the frequency that the finished crystals arrived at.

Jim
Old 17th Sep 2016, 5:06 pm   #6
PSValves
Pentode

Fascinating. Thanks for posting
Closed Thread