UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2016, 8:02 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Fitting Galena crystal to cup

I have found this thread here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=94220.

The crystal fell out of the holder on the set I am working on leaving a metal like material in which it had been set. Great I thought, it must be Wood's metal so I can melt it and reset the crystal. Various attempts at raising the temperature and it did nothing so I dropped it in water straight out of the kettle and it was still solid so I can only assume its solder!

I will scrape the material out under water to be safe and clean up the cup but then I am wondering what others have used to set the crystal. Field's metal is prohibitively expensive and I am not keen on using Wood's metal due to the cadmium content (it seems Russians are quite OK shipping it to us!).

I am thinking of painting the crystal underside with conductive silver paint, set it in a non-conductive filler, then paint over the filler with more silver paint and onto the cup edge. The only concern I have is if there would be any interaction between the silver and galena.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 8:05 pm   #2

Default Re: Fitting Galena crystal to cup

Silver loaded epoxy?

Old 11th Sep 2016, 8:18 pm   #3
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Wrap the crystal with aluminum foil and force it into the holder.
John.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 8:21 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

I'm not sure or not if there will be any interaction between Galena and Silver, down here in Cornwall Galena and Silver are common bed mates as it were, Silver is found with Galena and was extracted from Galena ores.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 11th Sep 2016 at 8:21 pm. Reason: missing words
Old 11th Sep 2016, 9:27 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

As an alternative to Wood’s Metal, which was originally used to fix crystals in their cups, you can get specially formulated low temperature solder which melts at well below the 100 degrees C/212F temperature of boiling water – namely, at 70 degrees C/158 Degrees F. Here for example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9inch-deso...QAAOSwqu9VBHxI

Might be worth a thought?

Hope that helps.
Closed Thread