UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2016, 8:55 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Old service components

A few recent wins in auctions which I thought might be interesting to some members.
1st up is a Pinnacle rack of TV valves most dated late 70's to early 80's, I'm assuming it was the sort of item provided by Pinnacle and stocked by the salesman.
The next 2 items are Philips assorted capacitors the ceramic and beehives are in good condition but all the tar covered paper dielectric are completely shot. (It was the Beehives I was after).
Does anyone remember any of these how old they might be from their time in the trade and any stories to tell!
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinnacle Valve Rack.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	129843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips Dielectric.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	129844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips Ceramic.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	129845  
Old 9th Sep 2016, 9:47 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Old service components

I had a couple of those Pinnacle valve racks, just as you say, we decided what to stock and how many and the rep sorted the rest out. We always used Mullard and Mazda valve before that but the Pinnacle had 12 months guarantee and never quibbled about replacements. The quality seemed about the same as the big makes by the middle 70's.
Frank
Old 9th Sep 2016, 10:01 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

We also had Pinnacle valves, and styli. They also used the styli type boxes as packs of
ten 20mm fuses.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 1:19 am   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

The Company I started my career (sentance?) with stocked Tungsram valves. Chances are that they were largely rebranded from the major manufacturers, they traded between themselves as well. As you say, those tarmacadam capacitors are now resistors with the passage of time and moisture, but an interesting display.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 10:01 am   #5
chriswood1900
Octode

Bill
I believe Tungsram started in Hungary but the UK arm got separated during WW2 and was taken over by Philips in 1952 and continued to manufacture at the Uk factory until 1956, the impression I got was it was used as another marketing route for Philips particularly where cost was concerned to maintain the premium image of Mullard. I have several more recent Tungsram valves which clearly have Mullard/Philips codes such as ECL86 with Blackburn codes!
My experience with Pinnacle TV valves has not been to bad with very few failures in NOS, clearly as Frank said they were prepared to honor a 12 month guarantee and you can't do that if your going to take a big hit financially.
Chris
Old 10th Sep 2016, 12:00 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

When I started work in 1970, there were boxes of components just like those in the workshop so guess is late 60's early 70's. Manager used to buy them from CES (Philips) in Purley Way Croydon.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 12:55 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
When I started work in 1970, there were boxes of components just like those in the workshop so guess is late 60's early 70's. Manager used to buy them from CES (Philips) in Purley Way Croydon.
Hello,

I have a Philips (valve) VHF tuner service kit (circa 1960) in a box similar the two in your pictures. I also have a Philips G8 safety components kit in a compartmentalised box. The G8 kit was advertised in the CES "Service Link", which later became the Philips "Service Link" publication.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 12th Sep 2016, 5:58 pm   #8
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I was in the trade in the '60's & remember those terrible pitch covered capacitors, always very suspect! Many a frame collapse & distorted sound caused by one of those going leaky. Don't even think of using them. Decca used something similar in the DM22's, with the same regular faults.
We also used some Pinnacle valves, although we mainly used Mullard, from the local wholesalers. As stated by others, they were mainly o.k., and as per other manufacturers. honoured the warranty. Anyone remember "BVA-ing " valves?

I have nice collection of Pinnacle small plastic boxes, with transistors in, again, no problems with them.

Dave.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 8:36 pm   #9
AC/HL
Dekatron

The Decca ones were Wima I think, AKA toffees.
Old 12th Sep 2016, 9:02 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Personal opinion.
Valve quality from most of the makes for the domestic market went down hill in the middle/late 70's, same with mono CRT's. Would not be surprised if they were sourced from wherever they could be obtained.
Unless someone knows different of course.
Frank
Old 13th Sep 2016, 6:26 pm   #11
Restoration73
Nonode

Everybody needed a stock of those new fangled germanium transistors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6125.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	130059  
Old 13th Sep 2016, 7:57 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

I have several sets of those pinnacle valve racks...though I had no idea how you used them until I saw your pics! I just thought it was just lucky the valves fitted and had no idea that's how it worked. They came with valves in a job lot.
I've got a few dusty wall-hanging presentation cards of 'Erie' dogbone resistors dating from the 30's and a couple of Mullard cardboard choc-box style assorted valve selection boxes from the early 50's.
I've also got a couple of boxes of 'Cryselco Wireless Lamps' which are MES 3.8 volt.
Somewhere I've got a load of yellow cardboard packs of 'radiospares' carbon resistors, the sort with the little man on the front.