UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Aug 2014, 10:11 am   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default What modern component should I use for switch click suppresion?

Hi everyone,

I'm (still) restoring my Dynatron Mazurka which has a Garrard 4HF deck.

The click suppressor across the motor switch's contacts is the original, and has just started oozing wax

So what should I replace it with? I usually use CPC so something from their range would be ideal. I presume Class X would be OK as there's no risk if it were to fail short circuit.

The choices from the "Capcitors, Suppression" section seem to be:
  • Ceramic disc rated at 250v AC, Class X1 (as well as Y1 or Y2) in a range of capacitance values from 0.1nF to 10nF,
  • Metallised propylene, 440v AC, Class X1, 10nF to 1uF,
  • Metallised propylene, 275V AC, Class X2, from 10nF to 3u3F,
  • Metallised paper, Class X2 with integral 47R or 100R series resistor, 250V AC, 47nF to 470nF (the infamous Rifas!)

Any suggestions please? I know it's a bit of an old chestnut, but I've done some forum searches and not come up with anything definitive.

Nick.
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 11:07 am   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: What modern component should I use for switch click suppresion?

Stick with the original value. A resistor in series is a good idea - 22 ohms or so - otherwise you will get sparking when the contacts close.

Any of the first 3 will be OK.
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 11:15 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: What modern component should I use for switch click suppresion?

Hi,
There are devices which contain a capacitor and 120 ohm resistor combined and made for the purpose. I think they go under the brand name of 'Quench-arc', or something similar, if that's any help.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 2:36 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

There is a purpose made part: Maplin RG22Y which combines a suitable resistor and capacitor together in a single package.
Old 22nd Aug 2014, 3:42 pm   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

You may come across the term 'snubber' for these click reducing capacitors which have a series resistor as well.

I've replaced failed Rifa snubbers with the appropriate value of X2 type capacitor with the appropriate value of resistor wired in series. I use 1 watt rated resistors for this role because of their higher maximum working voltage.
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 12:45 pm   #6
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Why not use the normal suppressor items, these contain the two items mentioned & are either long lead or fixed type?

Coin.
Old 23rd Aug 2014, 5:51 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Since they may still have impregnated paper dielectric as the infamous RIFAs do. Nothing is mentioned in the link to Maplins, so I fear the worst.
Old 24th Aug 2014, 7:22 am   #8
audiomik
Retired Dormant Member

Nick
whilst I can't remember the eventual value of capacitor used for a turntable motor switch suppressor, I do remember trying one of the larger values shown in your list in the first post of this thread.

Unfortunately this had the effect of providing the motor with sufficient current through the capacitor to run with the switch open.

Suggest that you try 10nF 250VAC with a 100R in series to start with.

hope this assists
Mik
Old 29th Aug 2014, 5:07 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thank you everyone for all the helpful suggestions.

The answer, it would seem, should have been RTFM, which states quite clearly that the original component is 0.05uF in series with 220R.

I will gut the original, and try to fit one of the 47nF metallised propylene ones + a 220R resistor inside.

BTW I couldn't find the RC suppressors/snubbers mentioned above simply because they're not in the Capacitors (supression) section of the CPC paper catalogue - they're in the Suppressors section (of course ) so thanks for reminding me of those.

Next daft question... What voltage rating for the resistor would be the bare minimum acceptable?

Nick.
Closed Thread