UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2016, 6:17 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Quick reads

Hello

I asked a similar question last year, and I have left it a bit late this time...

I am off on holiday shortly and wanted to pick out a few books to read while there. Last year I read books on Ekco (provided thanks to a forum member), Murphy and The Setmakers thanks to your suggestions.

I already have one on Logie Baird lined up and the latest Radiophile, so I am not completely without reading material. I also have one on Marconi which, from what I have read so far, seems a bit heavy for relaxing with by the pool (I just mention that to save anyone the bother).

I'd like some suggestions for anything you would recommend to do with vintage "stuff". So that could be manufacturers, individuals, record producers, record labels. Anything really that I can get my hands on quickly and is likely to be a relatively easy read.

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of the CO Stanley book at a reasonable price (£30+ seems a bit steep to me unless there's something about it that I don't realise that justifies the price).

Although I am trying with the technical side, I am more easily able to digest the cultural side of vintage technology - certainly while on holiday at least.

Thanks as always

Martin
Old 25th Sep 2016, 7:19 pm   #2
Colin G8TMV
Tetrode

Default Re: Quick reads

Maybe something from the history section of the RSGB online shop?

http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Onl...History_7.html

Colin
Old 25th Sep 2016, 7:25 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Colin. There's a couple on there that stand out (the ones on JLB and radar).

I'm usually an ebay man so this looks like a good place. I will see what else comes up in the next day and then make a decision and feed back (I have to balance buying interesting stuff with having few Euros to spend while there!).

Last edited by Martin Bush; 25th Sep 2016 at 7:25 pm. Reason: Typo.
Old 25th Sep 2016, 9:55 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Have you had a look in the main library in your area, surprising what they have and usually free.
Frank
Old 25th Sep 2016, 10:30 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

If you have a tablet and know there is wi-fi there then settle somewhere comfortable and start reading here......

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/index.htm

Loads of books and magazines including Practical Wireless, Radio Constructor etc, etc.

Absolutely marvellous site!

Peter
Old 26th Sep 2016, 11:41 am   #6
Martin Bush
Octode

That looks interesting for reading at any time. The problem with so much information is where to start. Fascinating stuff
Old 26th Sep 2016, 11:51 am   #7
paulsherwin

If you can find a copy of The Soul of a New Machine it provides an educational and surprisingly readable insight into the world of 1970s computer design, the era after the dominance of the mainframe and before the rise of PCs and home computing.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 11:58 am   #8

It is available for Kindle for a fiver.

Old 26th Sep 2016, 12:44 pm   #9
Martin Bush
Octode

I will have to sort my Kindle out. I must say that I prefer print, but sometimes the price makes the Kindle a no brainer.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 1:02 pm   #10
paulsherwin

You can probably buy a secondhand paper copy easily enough - it was quite a big seller. Something to keep an eye out for anyway.
Old 26th Sep 2016, 3:38 pm   #11
Martin Bush
Octode

Ok. I am now booked up - I got one about radar and the computer one Paul suggested.

Hopefully now I won't look out of place by the pool...
Old 26th Sep 2016, 3:46 pm   #12

Quote:
I will have to sort my Kindle out.
You can get the Kindle reader for most computers, I include smart 'phones in that. I have it on my iPod, very handy.

Old 26th Sep 2016, 3:52 pm   #13

Quote:
Hopefully now I won't look out of place by the pool...
To save embarrassment cover your technical book with a copy of Penthouse or the like. I often get the comment 'oh that's sad (a new usage of sad) reading that' as they tap away on their smartphone. Not realising it's people like up that design their kit.

Closed Thread