UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2015, 7:20 pm   #1
woodchips
Octode

Default BBC local radio equipment

I see that ramco.co.uk are holding a sale for some audio local radio equipment.

I think it is one of there bidspotter sales, so an alternative access route.
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 8:03 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: BBC local radio equipment

A few odd items there - I saw quite a few portable Nagra/Uher interview recorders, which I'd expect to have been sold off decades ago. There are also lots of LS3/5A pairs, which seems a pretty pointless disposal given that local radio stations still need studio monitors even in this digital age.
Old 5th Jul 2015, 8:49 am   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

Some excellent SP10 mk11s there and Studer Tape Machines...............
Old 5th Jul 2015, 10:08 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Some very useful gear, a pity it's all on the other side of the world!
Old 5th Jul 2015, 4:12 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The only sensible reason I could see for studios dumping LS3/5A would be if they were replacing them with something larger. The LS3/5A was carefully developed to be the best possible in that amount of space, and while there's been a bit of progress it's been a form of fine polishing rather than the development of anything revolutionary.

I wonder if new studio equipment has suddenly made more space available, but I suspect it's just an unthinking intent to modernise.

They do seem to be fetching significant bids already.

David
Old 5th Jul 2015, 4:49 pm   #6
mole42uk
Nonode

There does seem to be some technology attached to the LS3/5A which causes them to attract money.....They are great for reproducing speech in a Transit-sized room though.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 5th Jul 2015, 5:26 pm   #7
mhennessy
Dekatron

The trouble with hanging on to old LS3/5As is maintenance and support. The BBC no longer has Design & Equipment Department, who used to repair and calibrate loudspeakers against their references. And of course, the drive units are no longer available from KEF. Yes, production has taken place sporadically in recent times, and indeed Falcon are making the drive units again, but someone in the BBC would have to procure a batch and satisfy themselves that they are suitable for use as replacements (don't forget that there are two versions of the B110 for the 15 and 11 ohm models). I'm not sure who in the BBC might do that today - the BBC is not geared up to do that sort of work any more (indeed, when I want to measure loudspeakers, I have to take my own gear to work). In short, it's not practical or cost-effective to keep old models alive, and it's not even practical to ensure that working models are anything like they were when made. Like all drive units, those used in the LS3/5A are subject to ageing. I've measured many examples and they vary enormously.

Sadly, there is a lot of romance out there regarding the LS3/5A, and while that's good for those who are selling their pairs, the objective reality is rather different. It was a difficult loudspeaker to manufacturer in quantity, and it's been eclipsed by several other modern designs. Even the Stirling Broadcast version is a lot better, even though they had to make it as bad as the original!

Today, something like a Genelec 8020 would be picked. It's a fraction of the price of an LS3/5A, it measures better and is an active design so includes amplification. The examples I've measured have been very consistent, and of course, they are supported by the manufacturer (though I'm not aware of any faults occurring). For many applications, including local radio, they are absolutely fine - they are seen extensively in BBC buildings. There are many other models to be found - the 8020 is just an example of the top of my head. Things have come a long way since the early '70s, and while it's true to say that there is a lot of dross out there, there are also a lot of extremely good designs that have eclipsed the LS3/5A in just about every aspect except emotional appeal
Old 6th Jul 2015, 12:05 am   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The only sad thing is that the BBC are almost certainly not geared up to lever the value of their creation. The middle-men will reap that reward!
Old 6th Jul 2015, 9:27 am   #9
mhennessy
Dekatron

In the past they did employ people to deal with redundant plant. Since then, the workforce has nearly halved. It's simply not cost-effective to pay a salary to do this - remember, this stuff really is junk; it was fully depreciated years ago, and has been kept limping along by staff who do their very best within the constraints, but really are employed to be doing other things. Also, imagine the bad press the BBC would be open to if it did sell direct - even though it would be strictly sold as seen, there would be a stream of complaints from people who naively assume that all gear would be perfectly maintained. No, far more sensible and cost-effective to sell it to a broker who will prepare it for sale and deal with the customers - as daft as that might seem on the face of it.

As you might imagine, the BBC has a very well defined policy of dealing with redundant plant. When you take it in the round, it does make sense. Sending stuff to a broker or auction house is both more cost-effective and more environmentally friendly than WEEE skips.
Closed Thread