UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2015, 4:47 pm   #1

Default In praise of Maplin

Never thought about it before but the thread
Quote:
They don't make 'em like this anymore
made me think that on quite a few Saturday mornings I have trekked off to a local Maplin (do I need an excuse to ride my motorcycle?) to get a resistor, pot, capacitor etc..

OK they are a bit pricey (for parts, the fun 'tat' is reasonable and too tempting at times, why have I got a multimessage flashing LED badge?) but there when you want the bit, weekend not wasted. All the stores I have gone to (the better the weather, the longer the ride, been to a few) have a parts section at the back. I wonder how many prospective engineers started with a Maplin kit?

Never met unhelpful staff, if they don't know they find someone who does*, you can't ask for more.

*It was me once, new chap didn't have a clue (willing to learn, that's half the battle), spent a happy 40 minutes explaining components, he even made me a cup of coffee. BTW spent a quid on a couple on capacitors.

Last edited by Guest; 12th Jun 2015 at 4:48 pm. Reason: Despite re-reading a spelling mistook

Old 12th Jun 2015, 11:54 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: In praise of Maplin

I second that. Maplin also do some good and inexpensive kits. I've built several of their 1 watt and 7 watt amplifiers and been very pleased with them. It's also the only place where you can still browse a range of project cases, battery holders and so on.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 13th Jun 2015, 8:35 am   #3
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Most of the time they're ok. I tried to buy four caps of a certain value 0.01uF I think, and they only had two in stock. Explanation was that there was not much call for them and if I wanted more then I would have to go on line. Tis has happened several times, only keeping a couple of components in stock.

Malcolm
Old 13th Jun 2015, 7:08 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

In so many places, Maplin are both the best and the worst of suppliers, viz the only supplier. Component stocks of 2 seem common. Just occasionally, their bargain bins can offer a nice surprise.

B
Old 13th Jun 2015, 10:39 pm   #5
fetteler
Octode

Yeah, I agree with this, in a world where the only supplier is (regrettably) Maplin, then by default the best supplier is, well, Maplin!!
Sadly the world being reduced to this state

Steve.
Old 13th Jun 2015, 11:37 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Nonode

Sadly Maplin is reducing what it sells, possibly due to demand. I've found the staff really helpful and if I wanted more than in store stock ,would let me pay in store for quantity I wanted, and order from central stock, to be delivered FOC -at the same time making a complaint on held stock levels. How that stacks up today ,I don't know,as last time I wanted more than thy held in stock, the answer was to look for bargain bags which contained the remaining items. Staff levels- again the problem is changing staff levels. IO've usually found at least one ( usually senior member) with at least HNC/D quals, and the rest just there for a job, but are these blokes just there in their GAP year, OR IN A CAREER PATH?
Old 14th Jun 2015, 9:10 pm   #7
music-centre
Heptode

Our local Maplin store will still supply from their central warehouse if the store doesn't have enough stock of an item - a friend of mine went in for 2 diodes a couple of weeks ago, they had 1 in stock and the other was posted to him!
They cant have made much out of that sale, you would think it would be cheaper for them to keep a decent stock of such a cheap item.
Steve.
Old 15th Jun 2015, 7:03 am   #8
bobreel
Triode

My local Maplins staff have also been very helpful and knowledgeable and I cannot fault them. However, let us not forget that Maplins was one of those stores who didn't pass on the VAT cut in 2009.
Bob.
Old 15th Jun 2015, 12:32 pm   #9
threeseven
Octode

Must say I've found them below par in my area. The staff seem more interested in gossip than serving customers and I've been met with an offhand attitude when collecting prepaid, collect in store orders. I only use them as a last resort now. I did hear recently that they were in financial trouble.
Old 15th Jun 2015, 4:05 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Bearing in mind the current situation on the proverbial High Street, we're lucky to have anywhere at all to shop. We can lament the passing of the hobby shops, but we're a small audience now.
It'll be Internet or nothing eventually, use them while you still can.
Old 15th Jun 2015, 6:43 pm   #11

Quote:
use them while you still can
And use them anyway, they may survive. On a brighter note, model shops (static, rail, floating and airborne) seem to be flourishing as do craft ones. Shows that people still want to make stuff, beats the telly any day.

Old 15th Jun 2015, 11:57 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I agree with Merlin's observation but it can be hard work. The branch in Eastbourne supply any item out of stock by post free of charge but I fear the worst overall . It 's possible that electronic component re-cycling may become an esoteric fine art in the future where cannibalism or "make do and mend" are even more of a norm!

A few years ago, I visited an outlet in Greater Manchester where the staff were friendly enough but didn't seem aware of the different types of switch-cleaner realistically though, why would they?

I got my spray can and at the check out they only eye contact came when I was asked if I was over eighteen? I'm many decades past that and said [joking] What do you think? In the absence of being taught or having the wit to just say "I'm sorry Sir but I really have to ask this" I got a surly defensive response [implying it was all my fault] about having to do what it said on the till screen in case I was a solvent sniffer. I actually felt very sorry for the young person

Dave W
Old 16th Jun 2015, 1:53 pm   #13
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: In praise of Maplin

Maplin here in Rugby can be very hit and miss on what they have. It's only a small shop and things like stocking project boxes they only have them up to just over matchbox size. On individual components they rarely have more than 2 of any item which is great if you want to make a bridge rectifier !!!

Luckily they have a decent range of logic IC's but a very poor selection of capacitors.
Christopher Capener
Old 16th Jun 2015, 7:05 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

My nearest Maplin [Greenbridge, Swindon] is rather hit-and-miss regarding small-parts availability. You don't roll up at the parts-counter at the rear of the store and expect them to provide ten each of 10/22/33/47KOhm 2-Watt resistors when you need to replenish your stock and you've got on the bench a receiver needing a gone-way-high screen-grid feed resistor replacing.

They might have 1 or 2 such in stock. But the people there are friendly and competent and had the smarts to redirect me to the 'telecoms' racks when I was looking for a specific BT-phone-outlet-to-RJ45 adaptor. They also pointed out that the Gigabyte PC-bits I was asking for were currently available as part of a package-deal [so I got what amounted to a free 8Gb of RAM].

Generally, if you treat the sales-staff with interest and understanding, I find they'll reciprocate in a friendly and constructive way. I *nearly* managed to get one of them to sign up to an amateur-radio 'foundation' licence course!
Old 18th Jun 2015, 11:13 am   #15
Station X

One post moved to this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=55701

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread