UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2014, 3:10 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default 1D6 replacing 35RE

1D6 replacing 35RE, any one know if it would work? My Philco U427 non working set looks to have had one fitted a long time since. I would like to know if it a sensible replacement.

John.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 4:39 pm   #2
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: 1D6 replacing 35RE

Looks like a suitable replacement heaters are different 25v opposed to 35v and different pin connections, so must have been rewired at sometime, when modified.
John
Old 29th Aug 2014, 4:51 pm   #3
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Hi John,

According to Iliffe Radio Valve Data the 1D6 has 25V heater and is a half wave rectifier, whereas 35RE is a full wave rectifier with a 35V heater. Both have 0.3A heaters.

I do not have a schematic for this set as it may have had both anodes strapped together for increased HT current.

But as the original was rated at 35V, the replacement 1D6 may require an additional 33 ohm resistor for (guessing) a series heater chain?

Cheers
Rich
Old 29th Aug 2014, 4:59 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you, the set is designed to operate at 190v to 260v 40-60 C/S ac / dc with no adjustment, so am I correct thinking I need not bother to much about the 10v heater difference ? If you have not seen the circuit there is a Barretter in line with the Heaters on this set. John.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 5:08 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Just seen your post Rich, Set has series Heater chain and both Anodes are strapped together in the 35RE. John.
Old 29th Aug 2014, 5:14 pm   #6
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Thank you, the set is designed to operate at 190v to 260v 40-60 C/S ac / dc with no adjustment, there is a Barretter
Hi John,
That makes a difference, the Barretter would easily absorb extra voltage being a current regulator. There may still be an issue of enough HT current where the single 1D6 is rated at 100mA max and a 35RE is wired in parallel would be double. If HT current is below 100mA the 1D6 should be OK.

Cheers
Rich