UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2005, 10:41 pm   #1
johnlees
Hexode

Default Making push-on knobs easier to push on.

This is so basic, but I'm having a job getting the push-on knobs back on the spindles of a certain set. If I force them on they'll never come off again. I've tried Vaseline and I've tried filing the "flat" and the curved inner of the slot on the actual knob bigger. The circular spring clips seem to be just too strong and also there is a limit to how much you can file out. The spindles and the knobs are all the originals.
I just can't seem to solve this really basic problem, so the knobs are only partly pushed on. Any ideas, please ? John.
Old 12th Mar 2005, 11:33 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Making push-on knobs easier to push on.

Hi John, My usual method for dealing with this problem is to gently squeeze the circular clips in the jaws of a pair of pointed pliers, you may need several goes to get the tension right, but it does work. Not easy to photograph but I hope the picture below gives the general idea. .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIT0052.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	356  
Old 13th Mar 2005, 8:58 pm   #3
johnlees
Hexode

Default Re: Making push-on knobs easier to push on.

OK, yes, thanks, Mick. I suppose that is the obvious thing to do. Thanks for the picture and I will give that a try. Many thanks, John.