UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2011, 5:42 pm   #1
System A
Pentode

Default Itt cvc2

Hi everyone today I decided to get my CVC2 out of storage. It was plugged in via a variac and after a half an hour I started to raise the voltage. The timebases started to function then a raster appeared. I plugged the roof aerial in and all I can obtain is a very weak unlocked picture with faint sound.

This is the first time that I have ever tackled one of these sets and what a rats nest! I have mislaid my manual so would anyone please like to comment on any stock faults on this type of set? Has anyone any memory of this chassis?

Regards,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itt cvc2 012.jpg
Views:	1890
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	55069   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt cvc2 014.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	55070   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt cvc2 005.jpg
Views:	1925
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	55071   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt cvc2 009.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	55072   Click image for larger version

Name:	itt cvc2 007.jpg
Views:	1816
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	55073  

Old 13th Aug 2011, 5:48 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: itt cvc2

Hi Gary.
I did the odd one when I moved from British Relay to Clydesdale. I found them to be OK to fix but it's hard to remember them that well, it was the mid 70's after all.
Good Luck
Old 13th Aug 2011, 8:38 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Itt cvc2

Is this based on the KB CVC 1 ? It looks similar with the proper chassis
Old 14th Aug 2011, 12:14 am   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Gary,
The final vision IF transistor could have failed, it's likely to be a BF197 or a BF173. I don't much about these sets having only been asked to repair two in the late 1970s.
The CVC2 is a development of the dual standard CVC1. The luminance amplifier is a BD119 transistor and not the usual PL802 valve. This is the CTV that will operate in mono when the colour decoder is removed.

DFWB.
Old 14th Jan 2014, 2:40 pm   #5
Deccatech
Triode

Hi Gary

I saw this thread and wondered how you got on with your ITT!

We sold two or three of the CVC1/2 series when I was an apprentice in the late 60's / early 70's. They were very good sets, probably the very best of those we sold at the time (Pye/Bush/Decca/Philips/Marconi).

From memory, the only problems we ever had was failure of the LOP stage PL/PY valves. Strange thing is I never remember scrapping these sets and still wonder how many might have survived.
40 years on I even did a 'cold call' on the son of one original owner who had a large farmhouse...just the place to still find a large old TV squirrelled away I hoped. In fact he asked me over because "there is an old set in the attic". I couldn't wait to take a look, but disappointingly it was not a CVC1 I found, but a Decca 30 console set...presumably it was the set that had replaced the ITT.

Anyway, duty calls, a Decca Deccalian and a Panasonic plasma await repair. No prizes for guessing which I prefer. Hope you and your ITT are in good shape, all best regards, Peter.

Last edited by Deccatech; 14th Jan 2014 at 2:45 pm. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread