UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2012, 10:16 am   #81
Trevor
Octode

Default Re: Bryan Amplifier

I can remember a hifi news circa 1970 diy amplifier that used Silicon drivers and Germanium outputs the reasons being given were cost availability and finally improved cross over results !
In fact as I type this in I can see a Goodmans 3000 receiver that uses this topology and very nice they are to !
What a change early transistors must have been fancy going into work being trained and used to valve technology and then being told by the boss that you have to design and build using the new Germanium devices !! With all their attending heat problems
regards Trev
Old 21st Feb 2012, 1:53 pm   #82
rogermcgain
Diode

Hi all,

I was given a Bryan 9000 Amplifier some 20 years ago by a retired audio engineer, who was clearing out his "old jobs not collected by customers". The serial number is 91491.

I would love to get the amp up and running, but have not dared to power it up, as I lack the expertise and would hate to do any damage. Am awaiting ideas as to what I do next!

I have managed to take a few pictures of my Bryan 9000.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01483.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	62879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01484.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	62880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01485.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	62881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01486.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	62882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01487.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	62883  

Old 21st Feb 2012, 4:00 pm   #83
julie_m
Dekatron

Bring it up initially with a 40W lamp limiter and no load. The lamp should be dim to off. Connect a 47Ω, 2W resistor across the output terminals of one channel. If there is no DC across it, try connecting a speaker and then apply an input signal. (This may cause the lamp limiter to glow more brightly, as the amplifier is now delivering energy somewhere; if so, increase the wattage, or try the mains direct if you're feeling brave.) Repeat for the other channel.

As the screws for the speaker terminals are missing and they may be an obsolete thread form, you may need to drill out the old holes and tap new BSM threads. (Real bodge artists have been known to use an M4 tap straight into a 4BA hole, but you're better than that.)
Old 5th Mar 2013, 10:30 am   #84
IrisStalybridge
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Bryan Amplifier

Hi there, I was delighted to find such an interest in Bryan amplifiers. For your information all these units were assembled in Oldham Lancashire. I worked for a company called K J Bentley & Ptns who were printed circuit board manufacturers in the early 70s and probably quite a few years before this. They also assembled and sold under various sister company names, electronic equipment, one of which was Bryan amplifiers, they also manufactured conductivity meters and burglar alarms. I see that an electronic company called K J Bentley still exists in Oldham, although at a different address. I think that the Managing Director of my time, Ken Bentley, had two young sons who are possibly involved in the business now. There is a possibility that if you contact this company they may be able to give you some good information with regard to this very fine piece of equipment. With regard to the metal casing with the town of manufacture, this will have been bought in, along with the wooden units. When my 21st birthday came round in 1972, I was given a bryan amplifier by the company to go along with the speakers and deck purchased by family. I so wish I had that system today - it used to lift the roof! I hope this information is useful. Having started with this company as a telephonist, I then went on to become the sales person for pc's, costing out various boards for other companies who were building various units in those days. Happy memories for me and good luck in your search.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 9:54 pm   #85
Trevor
Octode

Sorry I have not been on the site for a while but to be honest the pressure of work and time I have had to spend there has made it nearly impossible

I cannot express the delight in Iris of Stalybridge's posting here re the Bryan amplifier. I would love to meet her in person just so that she could tell me about these wonderful amplifiers. I have been to Hale in Manchester where I believe they were made and I am aware that they later moved to Oldham perhaps it was a buy out or something similar?

Many many thanks for this story re Bryan.

Regards, Trevor.
Closed Thread