UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2019, 4:51 pm   #1
jim221
Pentode

Default BSR tone arm setting stylus pressure

I am working on this bar deck. Having removed all the grunge on the works and re lubricating it, I came across a problem which I need assistance with. On setting the balance weight to level the tone arm I noticed that the pressure read 4. when turned the dial I found that the weight ring was not fastened to the dial.
I cannot see any easy means of putting this right. My question is how do I put this right.
Jim
Old 15th Feb 2019, 5:03 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR tone arm setting stylus pressure

Which BSR deck are we talking about?
Old 15th Feb 2019, 5:44 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Set it to read zero with the tonearm balanced horizontally -- not tipping in either direction. Then, holding the numbered ring and the weight together, turn it to the setting required.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:18 pm   #4
jim221
Pentode

This is a BSR p128 deck and I probably didn't explain the problem too well. The numbered disk and the hand wheel are normally fastened and rotate together but somehow the numbered wheel and the hand wheel have become separated so that they don't give a correct reading. Hence what you think is zero could be 4 or 5. I need to know how to fix them together again. Hi fi engine has a good picture of the deck. There are two shaped nuts either end which seem to hold the thing together but I didn't want to mess with them until I knew more.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:26 pm   #5
Station X

Could it be a friction fit so that you can zero the scale when the arm is balanced?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:28 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Ignore the numbered disc for the moment. Turn the weight until the arm hovers in the horizontal position. Then turn the numbered wheel until zero is at the top. Then hold them both and turn until the desired reading is at the top.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:41 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Just to note: The pickup arm is box section in the manual I'm looking at, and the adjustment dial for the weight is totally separate from it.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 16th Feb 2019 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Correction
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:58 pm   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Generally speaking, the numbered discs on Counterweights are designed to rotate separately for the reason stated by Graham (Station X) i.e., the arm is first balanced, the numbered disc rotated so that the '0' is at the top, then the counterweight and disc are rotated together to set the required stylus pressure (tracking weight). If an Anti-Skate adjustment is provided, this normally set to the same figure as that for stylus pressure.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 1:02 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

Re: Post#7:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&d=1512596409

Lawrence.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 3:05 pm   #10
Kentode
Octode

A full user manual for this is available free from Vinylengine and details setting up the arm.

Hope this helps.

BVWS member
Old 17th Feb 2019, 5:31 pm   #11
jim221
Pentode

Well thank you for all your replies but I did find the answer eventually. this was in a BSR manual for a C159 which is for an auto player not a single player like the P128. However this was most useful as has exploded views of the turntable and all the parts. With its help I undid the two dome shaped nuts at either end of the of the tone arm pivot.This allowed me to lift the offending parts out. They are connected together by a spring so as you move one the other moves as well. so it is as you said balance the arm then set the weight with thumbwheel. I still have to investigate some thing as I can only move the thumbwheel to 3 grams although it goes up to 6. No I didn't;t do it it was like that before. I have included a photo of the mechanism so that you can see the problem. Already have the manual for the P128 from venyl engine but it nowhere near as good as the one for the C159. When I have time I will put it on to Vinyl engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	178569  

Last edited by jim221; 17th Feb 2019 at 5:42 pm. Reason: spelling errors\
Old 17th Feb 2019, 5:47 pm   #12
jim221
Pentode

Just a quickie, This manual is already on venial engine