UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2019, 2:11 pm   #41
Bomber county
Pentode

Default Re: Danson D540 mono amp "can we make it work" project..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
An electrolytic capacitor shouldn't run noticeably warm at all. If you can actually feel any warmness on the canister, then this proves that it will be internally electrically leaking enough to drag the HT voltage down, which in turn causes more warming until it eventually goes off with a big bang!

Projector amplifiers often have one volume control for the film sound track and another for the projectionists microphone to make announcements regarding the film show etc.
I'll keep an eye on it, it "may" have been transfered heat from the valves as I had it running upside down yesterday.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 5:15 pm   #42
Bomber county
Pentode

Default Re: Danson D540 mono amp "can we make it work" project..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber county View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
An electrolytic capacitor shouldn't run noticeably warm at all. If you can actually feel any warmness on the canister, then this proves that it will be internally electrically leaking enough to drag the HT voltage down, which in turn causes more warming until it eventually goes off with a big bang!

Projector amplifiers often have one volume control for the film sound track and another for the projectionists microphone to make announcements regarding the film show etc.
I'll keep an eye on it, it "may" have been transfered heat from the valves as I had it running upside down yesterday.
Bit the bullet in the end...going to change the rest of the resistors and all the caps as the transformer and valves seem Ok. Will update when finished and back in its (modified) casing.
Closed Thread