UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2017, 8:25 pm   #21
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Experience Of Offering Stuff Free Of Charge

I have responded to other's requests for particular items (free of charge) on more than one occasion and heard nothing more, which I find annoying and puzzling. These have been small items which would fit in a small padded envelope, so no problem/cost in sending them, and no collection necessary. I must add that these tend to be one time posters, and it's not happened with "established" forum members.
Alan.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 9:04 pm   #22
RojDW48
Nonode

I have found the members here to be so kind and helpful - often giving me really essential items for nothing or the cost of p&p. So I try to reciprocate by giving away useful things I know (if I'm honest with myself!) I'm never going to get around to using. So far that has been a very positive experience and, as mentioned elsewhere, I have made some very nice and knowledgeable acquaintances.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 9:27 pm   #23
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I will second that!. Apart from the AR88 I mentioned, every other deal here whether to me or from me, whether free of charge or for money, has gone very smoothly. I have always been happy with the outcome. The people here generally seem to be knowledgeable, friendly, helpful and honest.

I am not going to let one problem spoil things for me, I can assure you. Nor am I so unreasonable that one problem means I distrust everyone else.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:21 pm   #24
Junk Box Nick
Octode

All my experiences offering or buying from members of this forum have gone smoothly and I've met nice people into the bargain.

I have become very wary of Freecycle/Freegle. I signed up to the 'why put useful stuff into landfill' ideal with enthusiasm but soon got fed up with the no-shows. I always stated that I would use the hat and soon became suspicious of the immediate response as these characters seemed the most likely to no-show - probably because something that was liable to realise more at the next car boot sale had cropped up in the meantime. It wasn't all bad but it became hard work. The worst instance was a wooden desk that I had listed as being well used but in condition suitable for workshop or shed along with dimensions. I dismantled it and dragged it downstairs and when the guy turned up he immediately turned his nose up at it. Clearly not a saleable item. I'm afraid I gave him short shrift. I then had it clogging up my hallway until I eventually got shot of it. Sadly, this was not my only experience of view and refuse.

Freecycle is best for giving away items like half a tin of paint or the remains of a roll of roofing felt, etc. - useful but not readily saleable stuff. Genuine people will often have time for a chat - the traders just load it into their van and away and you might get a thanks if you're lucky.

Good quality give-away stuff I send to charities. There are plenty about that will take furniture and electrical stuff - either to sell or to distribute to needy people.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 7:49 am   #25
MrBungle
Dekatron

Not sure about that. Tried to lose 8x2m of quality carpet on freecycle and I had six no shows. My wife managed to get rid of it via Facebook in the end.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 9:32 am   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The vast majority of my FOC transactions with other Forum members, both as donor and recipient, have been excellent. As several others have already pointed out, another beneficial spin-off is meeting or becoming acquainted with other like-minded enthusiasts.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 31st Jan 2017, 2:26 pm   #27
pastyboy
Hexode

I had a few experiences of timewasters on freecycle one punter ask for something then said I was too far away despite the location being given. When I offered some more items with potential value he popped up again and was not very impressed when I told him he was too far away ! I then gave up on FC but not had trouble on here.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 3:07 pm   #28
camtechman
Nonode

Freecycle:

On more than one occasion, after several promises to collect items, I've sent one last email, only get a shirty reply informing me that I should be grateful that they would be helping me out by taking the item.......often still no show. I don't bother anymore.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 3:20 pm   #29
paulsherwin

It's generally possible to assess the quality of Freecycle responders by their emails. The car booters all send a very generic response with no explanation as to why they want something. There are normally one or more well written responses with full contact details and suggestions for collection arrangements, and they're the ones that I choose. I've not had a lot of problems.

There are difficulties the other way - I've driven miles to collect something only to find it has been given to somebody else, and somebody once demanded £20 when I arrived.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:36 pm   #30
AC/HL
Dekatron

The only problem I have had with Freegle (not sure what the difference is) is when you select a recipient (by email, that's how it works) and they don't reply. Any others have often lost interest by the time you get back to them. Other than that I've had good experiences with both recipients and donors. No problems on here, of course.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 5:09 pm   #31
paulsherwin

Freegle was formed in 2009 after most of the UK Freecycle moderators had a huge spat with the US parent organisation and broke away. Most UK areas now have either Freegle or Freecycle groups, but some have both. There is a Wikipedia article on Freegle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegle
Old 31st Jan 2017, 5:41 pm   #32
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Angry Re: Experience Of Offering Stuff Free Of Charge

Sometimes the reverse can happen. Quite some time ago, I put out a 'wanted' for a replacement transformer for a Heathkit valve-based VTVM. This transformer is really quite small: there isn't the space to fit a generic substitute. Anyway, a forum member (whom I shall not name) kindly offered me one. Yet despite repeated promises of "I'm getting round to it!" and the eventual ignoring of my subsequent polite reminders and enquiries, everything has gone dead. Of course, there may be very good reasons for all that, but at least some sort of communication to that effect would have been nice.

Al.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 6:50 pm   #33
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I eventually got disheartened with Freecycle. I found that you had to be really quick to respond to get anything. However, I did get a rather nice petrol roller lawnmower from someone. He actually had two. He said that the other person turned up and wanted both. He was turned down on the second one. Lucky for me. They are really expensive to buy and this one just needed a little TLC. The other thing I got was a Defiant console model radio. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and it just encouraged me to collect even more stuff. I don't go to auctions, car boot sales etc any more for exactly that reason. My sheds are all full!
Old 31st Jan 2017, 8:27 pm   #34
Oldelectronics
Heptode

I Have never sold any thing on here but I have bought some great items From a radio to control knobs a speaker etc often with advice attached if needed. I find it very sad reading the above as some terrific people on the Forum go out of their way to help others.
Old 1st Feb 2017, 12:15 am   #35
David Simpson
Nonode

As some folk who ken me will know, I've given away heaps of stuff which I myself have been given, or were surplus to requirements, over the years.
What works best with these give-aways & the occasional Forum sale or eBay flog - is to get a payment through PayPal first. Especially if you're giving stuff away for just the postage cost. The reciprocal works just as well when you receive such a give-away. Folk seem happy enough to use PayPal for these friendly transactions.
When I say friendly - it emphasises the whole ethos of the VRR&R Forum. However, also as some folk who ken me know - I do speak out against the tiny minority of mercenary wheeler-dealers who troll through this site, and probably other vintage forums, on the scrounge.

Regards, David
Old 1st Feb 2017, 9:33 am   #36
Radio Tech
Nonode

Digitalnomore,

Please don't get too dishearted over things, there is bound to be a time when it aint just so, I enjoy the company, friendship, the banter and the experience of others who are more experience than I, But, do I I get down in the dumps? No.

Its a good site, good people

Best wishes

Ken
Old 6th Feb 2017, 4:01 pm   #37
yesnaby
Octode

All very true. I offered something on Freecycle for the first time in ages. The first person to reply was very keen, several text messages - never turned up to collect. There was a second person living just around the corner who was also interested, I then offered it to them, never replied.
Closed Thread