UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2004, 2:34 pm   #1
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.
Default Communication Receivers and Speakers

Knowing that most Communication Receivers come without built in Speakers I wondered how members of the forum solved this problem. Do you have a separate speaker for each receiver or do you have one speaker, switching it between different receivers??
Paul E
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 3:13 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Communication Receivers and Speakers

Hi Paul.

I have a general speaker in a plywood box for testing vintage sets but my comms rx uses a small dedicated speaker which I chose for it's limited response bearing in mind you only really need something for speech. If like me you are mainly interested in listening to amateur radio on SSB rather than DX broadcast then a speaker with a limited response is usualy better. Some of my listening is done at night so then I use headphones anyway.

Rich.
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 9:04 pm   #3
Station X

I am fortunate enough to have the correct RCA Speaker to go with my AR88. AR88s are a bit fussy about speaker impedance and the speaker has the correct 2.5 ohms impedance. It is really a bit too good for narrowband width CW reception and the AR88 was never designed for SSB. I suspect that the speaker was designed for BC AM reception. For CW the operator would probably have used headphones.

I also have the matching speaker for the first Communications Receiver I ever bought. This is a valved Trio 9R59DS dating from about 1970. However it's just a normal RS type elliptical speaker in a cabinet to match the radio.

My "modern" Comms Receiver has a built in speaker, but it's pretty useless as it's in the top pointing upwards. I generally use an an old "music centre" speaker and cabinet salvaged from a skip and mounted high on the wall with it. I use headphones for serious listening.

As for my two Hallicrafters, HRO and R1155, I haven't even got round to testing them, yet alone restoring them. When/if I get them all going I shall probably put them in some kind of racking and use a common speaker with a switch or patch panel.

Graham.

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 9:38 pm.
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 11:15 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

If I remember correctly, the R1155 (drool, drool)!! did not originaly have a built-in speaker. Most people remove the DF components which leaves a spare valveholder for building an output stage and space for a power supply.

Rich.
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 11:18 pm   #5
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

The 1155 is designed to drive low impedance headphones (approx 30 ohm), or the intercom amplifier of the aircraft (usually A1132). Most other airborne equipment is similar in its ouput.

Jim.
Old 22nd Jul 2004, 11:27 pm   #6
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Graham, I have the correct speaker for my AR88 as well (with pocket watch holder). I bought my 9R-59DS in 1973, unfortunetly it came without a speaker. Went after one on ebay last week, but it went for £30+ which I though expensive. I have seen 9R-59DS's plus speaker go for about this price.
Paul E
Old 23rd Jul 2004, 10:27 am   #7
MAGNETRON

Hi wireless_paul

Most of the valved communication receivers I have owned in the past needed external speakers.
With the older sets crammed with valves and mechanical filters space was at a premium and
the addition of an internal speaker would have added to the production cost.
I have some 3 ohm speakers in wooden boxes for my old kit.
With my FRG7 and FT101Z transceiver I use wireless headphones.
These allow me to listen to the DX while washing the car, gardening and doing some D.I.Y with some strange looks from the neighbours.
I just hope none of my neighbours have wireless headphones on the same frequency.

Old 23rd Jul 2004, 3:31 pm   #8
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I rescue the small self-contained speakers from mobile phone hands-free car kits as we have a lot to dispose of at work. They are similar to the "communications speakers" available for amateur radio and often have an impedance of 4 ohms, which work well on communications equipment and some even have a 3.5mm jack plug already fitted! The audio quality is poor for normal domestic radio but just right for comms. It's worth saving the electret mics from these kits also, and as most people seem to change their mobile phone, (and hence car-kit) regularly these days, spares are plentiful and cheap.

Biggles

Last edited by Station X; 27th Dec 2004 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Import
Closed Thread