UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2010, 7:09 pm   #1
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Ferguson Videostar 3V48

Right, while the girlfriend was ain a hairdressers today, I decided to go into the junk shop just across the street - and what should I find in there?

A Ferguson V.Star 3V48 - a machine I've been wanting to get my mitts on for ages - and at only £5, in near mechanically-sound condition, not a bad price It didn't come with its remote though nor the front flap that covered the tracking controls and switches, but instead came with a tape of Pingu - I don't know which is worse, cosmetic damage, a missing remote or some annoying Plasticine penguin.

Surprisingly, there was nothing really wrong with the machine, apart from it needed probably the hardest cleaning job I've ever had to give to a VCR (it took about half an hour to wipe it all off the capstans, 2nd pinch roller was hard to access (the PCB over wouldn't lift more than an angle of about 80-85 degrees. (These had two pinch rollers, remember. One in the usual place and one next to the erase head). I also suspect the belts are starting to give way.

Overall a bargain well-spent
Old 18th Jun 2010, 9:49 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Ferguson Videostar 3V48

Hi Aidan,

RE: 2 pinch rollers

The roller beside the full erase head (FE head) is not a second pinch roller, it is called an "impedance roller" it is there to smooth out any "ripples/judder" from the tape.

Much more recent machines did away with this roller altogether (cost cutting).
I hope this explains.

Cheers,
Baz.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:10 pm   #3
AidanLunn
Heptode

Thanks Baz. Pity they didn't continue using this roller, then some of my tapes that were decimated by a Samsung SV-203B "nibbling" one side of the tapes that were recorded on it.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 19th Jun 2010 at 1:43 am. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:11 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

If it needs bits, try here....

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/manu...arts/ferguson/

Nice machine. What's wrong with Pingu? My godson won't have a bad word said about it.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:20 pm   #5
AidanLunn
Heptode

I didn't even know, apart from the 3V43 (of which I have an example), that there were any Ferguson V.Stars from this period that had audio dub, VU meters, HiFi heads etc. I'm guessing that the 43 and 48 are both mechanically and electronically the same or similar?

Hard to put my finger on what it is I find annoying about Pingu, but apparently, I didn't even like it when I was in the correct age range either, preferring ITV's pre-school offerings. I still have some Children's ITV from the period on the end of a VHS somewhere.

Baz: Ah, it's a pity that they weren't included on later machines. I've had some tapes destroyed by a Samsung SV203B "nibbling" edges of tapes that were recorded or played back.

Last edited by AidanLunn; 18th Jun 2010 at 10:36 pm. Reason: unnecessary quote of preceding post removed
Old 18th Jun 2010, 10:36 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

Hi, Aiden

There was indeed an "all singing all dancing" Hi-Fi Fergy V.star around this period, with LED VU meters, (on a drawer IIRC), with six heads,audio dubbing etc. but I cannot recall the 3V number (All V.Stars of this period were based on the current JVC models).

Cheers,
Baz.
Old 18th Jun 2010, 11:04 pm   #7
AidanLunn
Heptode

I think the 3V46 also had stereo and HiFi didn't it as well? though not sure if it had audio dub, VU meters etc because I've only seen one briefly, although I remember it looked like the 3V45/65 except silver-coloured instead of gunmetal grey.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 19th Jun 2010 at 8:06 am. Reason: It is not necessary to quote the immediately preceding post.
Old 19th Jun 2010, 12:00 pm   #8
Red to black
Nonode

^^^

Yes that is the machine I was thinking of, silver, with a little drawer, the red and green VU meter LED's on the front of this, with the Audio, etc., set level switches on the top of the drawer when opened.

Cheers,
Baz
Old 19th Jun 2010, 5:08 pm   #9
AidanLunn
Heptode

I remember seeing one once, and although I think I've heard it wasn't built with a remote, I remember thinking how "flash" that machine looked. I wish I'd got it when I had the chance.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 19th Jun 2010 at 5:15 pm. Reason: Quote removed. Residual FSK remedy applied.
Closed Thread