UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2014, 7:46 pm   #1
02churmat
Triode

Default Adding RF input to vintage TV - JVC Videosphere.

Hi everyone

This is my first post here, even though I signed up nearly 5 years ago!

I've recently acquired a JVC Videosphere TV from the 70's. I'm looking to add an RF input to it. Can anyone help me out with what parts I should use and where it should be connected? UHF or VHF?

Please ask for any more info
Old 12th Jan 2014, 9:51 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Adding RF input to vintage TV - JVC Videosphere.

The RF input (UHF or VHF) is already present. Maybe you are looking for a modulator?
Old 12th Jan 2014, 10:01 pm   #3
fiesata
Tetrode

You could use a freeview box with a RF output

I have a RF modulator which I attach a Scart to so I can view outputs from many sources eg VHS

Either will suffice. Considering its age UHF should be the input to use
This is the one I use
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Sc...s=rf+modulator
though available from many sellers
Old 12th Jan 2014, 10:11 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Or a redundant VCR if you can hide it-doesn't even need to work tape wise! Lots of threads on here eg Camtechman 7/11/12 "Using a Freeview Box On a TV With No Scart Socket".
Dave W
Old 12th Jan 2014, 11:01 pm   #5
02churmat
Triode

Thanks for your replies guys.

There isn't a normal round RF connector on the back of the TV, only a bizarre 2-pin socket that I've never seen before.

The black UHF socket as shown in the video here, is missing from my set.

CLICKY

There are 2 spade connectors leading to where the UHF socket was. Could I get an old RF cable, cut the end off and wire it to the spade connectors? Effectively giving me a round RF socket?
Old 13th Jan 2014, 1:19 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Before doing that, be sure there are no isolating components which may have been part of the black 2 pin uhf socket which is now missing. If you just connect coax to the bare wires, for all you know it could be a death trap. Maybe someone here has a schematic they could look at to confirm.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 1:22 am   #7
hans
Heptode

Couldn't play the video, but you might have an IEC socket on Your set. Which is a RF input.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 8:48 am   #8
02churmat
Triode

There is an IEC socket, but I thought that was just for mains power.

The spade connectors both clip onto a little board inside. Then from this board, there's a wire that connects to the VHF (I think) will try to take some pics.

Or, there is a telescopic aerial with the set too, could I just remove that and got an RF input there?
Old 13th Jan 2014, 12:45 pm   #9
Nicklyons2
Octode

This set may well be the European version which has a 300 Ohm balanced input. The safest / easiest way to connect is to use a 'balun' - these can often be found on the end of the loop aerial on portables which have a loop aerial with about a foot of ribbon feeder - the little black box on the end is usually a balun. A permanent and less lossy connexion can be achieved but you MUST ensure the mains isolation status of the set and use an isolated coax socket for the connexion. The tuner, if it is the European version, will most likely be a multi-band VHF/UHF job; by this set's era VHF only had dissappeared in Europe. Note also if it is the Euro version the sound intercarrier MAY not have been modified to the UK standard.
Old 13th Jan 2014, 1:07 pm   #10
malvision
Pentode

Here is the connection you will require link is for reference only

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-ANTENNA-L...-/321288711412
Old 13th Jan 2014, 1:13 pm   #11
02churmat
Triode

I'm guessing it is a european model as it's got a 2-pin mains plug. I've got a converter plug to make it 3-pin so no problems there.

Have looked around online and the only baluns I can see are used as an input to the TV. I'll whip the back off the set and take some photos, they'll be better than how I can try and explain it!

Thanks for the link, but I'm in the UK and the cost of shipping from the US is pretty steep!

I've had a look at ebay.co.uk but there's nothing similar on there. I thought it would be as easy as wiring in a bit of coax cable and a new socket! :p
Old 13th Jan 2014, 6:52 pm   #12
emeritus
Dekatron

Does the socket look like it would take one of the VHF or UHF 2 pin aerial plugs shown in the attached PDF, which is from the 1969 KJ catalogue?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf vhf _uhf 2 pin plugs.pdf (51.5 KB, 259 views)
Old 13th Jan 2014, 11:16 pm   #13
02churmat
Triode

It would take the VHF plug by the look of it.

Are these available anywhere?
Old 16th Jan 2014, 10:44 am   #14
02churmat
Triode

I took the back off the set the other day and took some photos. I'm hoping now that these are up, you guys would be able to give me some help with what to connect and where. I've bought a balun as per someone's suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4873_zpsfa633c21.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	87912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4876_zps2640b0ab.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	87913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4877_zps6f3c43dc.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	87914  

Last edited by AC/HL; 16th Jan 2014 at 9:00 pm. Reason: Images converted to attachments
Old 16th Jan 2014, 11:04 am   #15
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
Note also if it is the Euro version the sound intercarrier MAY not have been modified to the UK standard.
If that's the case then one of these should help, they are a system B UHF modulator (yes, B - Australia used B on VHF and UHF). Alternatively from time to time I can pick up VHF modulators for NZ channels 2 or 3 from a local service company as they write off old VCRs, and would be happy to send one for the cost of postage (I think last time it was less than NZ$15 for a couple).
Old 16th Jan 2014, 11:47 am   #16
02churmat
Triode

I'm just looking to connect an old games console to the TV, an Atari 2600.

I'm not looking to connect anything via Scart, so would I still need a modulator?

Thanks for the offer mate, if you think it would work, that would be great
Old 16th Jan 2014, 8:06 pm   #17
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesata View Post
I have a RF modulator which I attach a Scart to so I can view outputs from many sources eg VHS
That's the exact modulator I use with my sitting room TV which doesn't have scart - and it's really good for the money. Better picture than a couple of other more expensive modulators I own, and the digital channel selection is much nicer than those difficult little dip switches too.
Old 17th Jan 2014, 8:25 pm   #18
hamid_1
Heptode

The Atari 2600 has a built-in modulator, you shouldn't need another one. The main problem is the UHF aerial socket has been removed from your TV. I'm assuming the two wires that plug in to the tagstrip behind the aerial sockets are used to carry the aerial signals to the tuner. You can try connecting the RF out from your Atari 2600 to those wires. It's quite safe - the JVC Videosphere chassis is isolated by the mains transformer inside the set. Then just switch on the Atari 2600 and the TV, then turn the UHF tuner and see if it picks up anything.

No need to worry about using a balun. Without one, some signal will be lost due to impedance mismatch, but in practice a modulator will give out so much signal that some loss won't matter.
Old 18th Jan 2014, 8:09 am   #19
02churmat
Triode

Thanks for the info mate, will give it a try. There never was a round RF input on these TV's, that's why I'm trying to add one in now
Old 18th Jan 2014, 9:42 am   #20
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamid_1 View Post
The Atari 2600 has a built-in modulator, you shouldn't need another one. The main problem is the UHF aerial socket has been removed from your TV.
That is assuming that a UHF socket was ever fitted?? I worked on a number of continental sets over the years and although some had position and fitting for a UHF socket, it had never been fitted meaning that the set was VHF only and not usable in UK (or anything with a UHF modulator).

It would be better to find out more information on the TV itself and find out if in fact it is UHF capable.

The fact that the video earlier shows one with a UHF socket, doesn't mean that all models had one.

Rich