UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2018, 11:23 am   #21
martin.m
Hexode

Default Re: Akai 4000D tension issue?

I had a 4000D in the 1970s and had similar problems combined with a squealing noise when playing certain tapes. The problem turned out to be worn tape heads causing excessive tape to head friction.
Old 16th Jun 2018, 12:48 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Asolutely Julie, plus decent performance at 3 and 3/4" so you could record longer program material and also 7 and 1/2 for quality. The main advantage was availabilty with all the features described and affordability [I think £120?].
Just like the Amstrad computer it filled a gap in the market. In both cases, the cost of something "professional" was well out of reach. As I recall the nearest IBM match to a PC was about five grand.

Dave
Old 16th Jun 2018, 1:08 pm   #23
Kentode
Octode

Richard, why not measure the table block tension? It takes five minutes with some digital luggage scales.

You don't say if you have the service manual. It can be downloaded from Vinyl Engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	164704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	164705  

BVWS member
Old 16th Jun 2018, 3:26 pm   #24
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
The main advantage was availabilty with all the features described and affordability [I think £120?]
I bought my 4000DS from Lasky's for £65 brand spanking, including VAT. Unkind as I sometimes am about various of its flaws and foibles, I have to admit it was stonking value at the time and served me well for a couple of years - the next step in quality was to a Sony TC-377, a better machine to be sure, but that step cost £150. Mind you, this was around 1974-76, with the effects of rampant inflation and 25% VAT to deal with. Revoxes changed hands for around £300-£350 at the time.
Closed Thread