UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2018, 6:48 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Sanyo RD 4260 (recording issues)

Hi. I was not long given a cassette player (Sanyo RD 4260) which has been working fine. It's been playing tapes fine, no issues, apart from the tapes themselves. Anyway, I have been trying to record some of my records onto tape so I can listen to them elsewhere. However, when I try to record them, the left output from the record player, isn't being picked up by my cassette deck, or tape itself I believe.

I know it isn't the VU meter, as when playing pre-recorded tapes, they both move fine.

I'm new to cassettes and so being very inexperienced, I have minimal idea of what to do, I've tried the basics like checking wires and ports etc; they're fine. I'm also using a 5 pin DIN cable to connect the two, not anything else. The right output is detected and recorded fine, so is it something to do with my record player (Dynatron HFC 51 - using built in pre-amp) or deck? Everything works fine apart from the one issue of the left output not being recorded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	164370  
Old 10th Jun 2018, 7:00 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Sanyo RD 4260 (recording issues)

The left hand channel isn't connected properly.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 7:24 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay, so how do I connect it? As I said, I'm using a 5 pin DIN cable, so it is only one cable which doesn't connect to any particular output side.. Thanks for replying!
Old 10th Jun 2018, 7:40 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

I have fixed it. Turned out a switch from AUX to DIN hadn't been flicked properly, so it wasn't in correct position. Thank you for helping.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 7:53 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

One thing you can do as a quick test: get a sewing needle or pin. Set the deck into record and poke the pin into each hole of the DIN (and/or) phono inputs. You should get movement on the meter for each channel in turn. That would at least help identify if it is a connection problem between your units or something interior to the tape deck.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 11:22 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can tell you are new to this by your use of the word "Ports" aka Sockets! Now you've got the player running, it would be a good idea to clean the heads using isopropyl alchohol on a cotton bud, and also the guides and the capstan. Your deck is a really early one and this should make a worthwhile improvement.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 4:36 pm   #7
19Seventy7
Octode

Yeah, I am new haha. New to everything old I guess. I know what the heads are, but what are the guides and capstan? not great with the terms. Do you know what year my deck is? I think its 1971-73, but I'm not too sure, the box doesn't say. Thanks for replying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
One thing you can do as a quick test: get a sewing needle or pin. Set the deck into record and poke the pin into each hole of the DIN (and/or) phono inputs. You should get movement on the meter for each channel in turn. That would at least help identify if it is a connection problem between your units or something interior to the tape deck.
Okay, thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for replying!
Old 14th Jun 2018, 10:19 am   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you follow the course of the cassette tape round you'll see what supports/guides the tape towards the two heads and then the rubber "Pinch wheel" and the thin motor metal shaft (Capstan) it rolls against. This compression of the rubber with the rotating spindle is what pulls the tape through. I agree your dating of this.
Old 14th Jun 2018, 8:03 pm   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay, thank you! I'm guessing its a somewhat rare deck, I cannot find any thing about them online at all.
Closed Thread