UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jun 2018, 11:24 am   #21
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: 405 in Colour. Well, sort-of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Crown Court is certainly playing on the Ogdens GTVR branded Thorn 850 (or is it a 900).
As for what's on Mike's Cossor, I have no idea.
I think it's a 1400 or possibly a late 950? The same (or an identical model) set was seen in Annie Walker's living room close up in 1976. The Granada badge with the old style arrow logo could be clearly seen.

Would make sense for them to show "Crown Court" seeing that was a Granada production. Excellent drama. Apparently all episodes survive in the archives.

As for those colour filters did anyone actually use them?!
Old 13th Jun 2018, 12:52 pm   #22
Brigham
Octode

Siegfried Farnon had a pre-war Rover (not P2) in 'All Creatures Great and Small", but that doesn't look like Robert Hardy to me.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 1:50 pm   #23
peter_scott
Dekatron

I don't think I could tell the difference in that photo between Rovers leading up the war and those post war. I've never watched Crown Court but looking on YouTube it appears to be set in the 1970s and at that time Rovers as suggested were seldom used as every day transport. I would suggest that the setting is not much later than mid 1950s.

Peter
Old 13th Jun 2018, 2:02 pm   #24
beery
Heptode

Hi all,
Having seen adverts for these things in vintage copies of Practical Television, it is interesting to see what they looked like. I thought the colour tinting would be a bit stronger. I wonder how many were sold.

Obviously a load of rubbish though.

Cheers
Andy
Old 13th Jun 2018, 3:25 pm   #25
red16v
Heptode

There has been previous thread on these 'items'.

As I said in that thread, I bought one as an impressionable teenager and it was held in place by two pieces of thin cord at the top of each corner of the tinted screen with what I can only describe as insulated fishing hooks on the end of each cord which you hooked onto the back of the set so no sticky tape involved. In my case, the set had some ventilation holes at the top of the back of the set and attaching it was very easy.

It was otherwise just like the Odgens one, and just as 'effective'. I am pretty sure I bought it through an advert in Exchange and Mart magazine. After I week I decided it was pretty useless and got my money back - thankfully.

Who would have thought that a dozen or so years later I would be recording episodes of Crown Court on a quad VTR machine in central London as they were being transmitted by Granada around lunchtime. Enough thread drift from me!
Old 13th Jun 2018, 4:49 pm   #26
AC/HL
Dekatron

The original thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=141400
Old 13th Jun 2018, 4:49 pm   #27
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
A green shield stamp for anyone who can recognise what is playing on the Cossor TV.
The features might be easier to identify with the colour off.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 6:04 pm   #28
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBHanson View Post
The original space invaders game used this technique
I had one of those cocktail table Space invader machines which had the coloured stripes stuck onto the glass panel covering the CRT.

Was actually very effective.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 6:12 pm   #29
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think the (interesting to me) Vectrex home video game system had coloured overlays for the CRT screen, a different one for each games cartridge.

This is not to be confused with the 3D/colour add-on for that machine.
Old 13th Jun 2018, 6:15 pm   #30
Richard_FM
Nonode

Speed Bug was another arcade game with a monochrome screen using coloured filters.

This was obvious when you crashed into something & the edge of it would turn yellow.
Closed Thread