UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2022, 12:21 pm   #1
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Computer memory

Hi, I'm trying to confirm the number of Mb's on a couple of Dram cards containing the following chips and hope that a forum member can assist.

The first one is Siemans HY8511000BJ-70, I think this might be a 1Mb.

The second is NEC 421000-70 and the module has MC-421000A9B-8C printed on it. Don't know idf this is 1Mb or possibly 4Mb.

Both these Dram modules haveare 9 chips fitted.

Thanks

Dave
Old 11th Oct 2022, 1:15 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: computer memory

For your first one try searching Siemens HYB511000BJ

Data sheet here says they are 1M by 1 bit.

https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-p...1000BJ-70.html
Old 11th Oct 2022, 1:32 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

For the second, this page which lists some MC-421000A9A (not B) for sale (check the price!) says they are 1M by 1 bit, although they are being offered as a 4MB set. unfortunately I don't know the significance of A versus B suffix in this case.

https://classiccomputershop.eu/Webwi...retro-80s.html

Regarding the capacity, a module with nine of these 1 Megabit chips on it will be 1 Megabyte (8 bits wide) with the ninth chip / bit being for parity.
Old 11th Oct 2022, 1:38 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Thanks Sirius, that will teach me to use a magnifier when looking at chip numbers. I did find that classiccomputershop site but I was confused that they had both 1Mb and 4Mb showing for the same module. I suspect that I'm not going to be lucky enough to have 8 MC-421000A9A modules at 4Mb but you never know. Personally I think that the '1000' part of the number infers 1Mb as it seems to do with other modules that I've checked. I just thought that members such as your good self would be able to confirm one way or the other.

Dave
Old 11th Oct 2022, 1:45 pm   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

Oh, I should have mentioned that I'm looking for Drams suitable for an IBM Opal 486SLC2 mobo and the mobo does take up to 4 of the 4M x 9 Dram modules according to the user manual. This is in relation to being able to find out what is on the spool tapes with the Kennedy 9610 tape deck in case you had not twigged. I'm quite a way of from getting this all sorted but am trying to source anything that will help.

Dave
Old 11th Oct 2022, 4:10 pm   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

I've now identified the mystery NEC SIMM, it would appear that the 421000-70 is also a 1Mb type as on a German RAM suppliers web page they have an NEC 424100-70 listed as 4Mb.

This thread can now be closed.

Dave