UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2022, 11:08 pm   #1
roadracing57
Diode

Default PYE P.J 501TG Cabinet restoration

Hi first Cabinet restore here. Have probably researched too much about cabinet restoration that i am completly confused now. Top of it was very bad, and small chips missing of the veneer, will get veneer ordered so hope to patch these up. as you can see i have removed the finish on the top. the rest actually while there is a few scartches here and there is in good shape so am just going to clean it up and may spray clear laquer over it when ready?
Question is how do i do the top and with what?
Do i spray a halfords clear lacquer over top before i do anything and then use an oil or stain it?
What colour stain do i go with to try match to the bottom as close as possible.
Or was this cabinet french polished when it was leaving the factory and that is the finish i should go with.
Any help would be great.
thanks,
Phelim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relate.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	261238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220720_220058.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	261239   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220720_220036.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	261240   Click image for larger version

Name:	add.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	261241  
Old 22nd Jul 2022, 11:29 am   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: PYE P.J 501TG Cabinet restoration

I don't know much about cabinet restoration but will hazard a guess that they originally used a tinted cellulose spray finish on bare wood.
Old 23rd Jul 2022, 7:13 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

Default Re: PYE P.J 501TG Cabinet restoration

If you're ordering veneer specially then get some spare so you can experiment to get the right finish. If you're going to stain it then start with a light shade. It's easy to stain the veneer darker, but almost impossible to stain it lighter.

Richard, BVWS member
Closed Thread