UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2016, 10:29 am   #1
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Super Nintendo SNES

I don't know if this should be here or 'modern tech' - mods please move if necessary.

A friend has acquired a SNES console but without power supply - I've boxes of 'brick PSUs' but does anyone know what the spec of the original was. I've checked the 'net' and nearly every site says something else; if I search images it shows two different type of plug. Some say the original was 10v a.c. 850mA others say 9VD.C. 1.3A negative inner, others 12V etc. The plug itself is pictured as either a standard 5.5/2.5 type or one of the type with a centre pin in the plug (like Canon printers). So has anyone out there got the definitive answer? By the way the unit is a Std PAL version, apparently there were major deferences in the NTSC versions.
Old 8th Jul 2016, 10:31 am   #2
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Re: Super Nintendo SNES

I have several origianal SNES machines

I can check tonight if you like?

SEAN
Old 8th Jul 2016, 10:35 am   #3
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Original Nintendo PSU is 9v AC at 1.3a. Has a standard barrel type connector and encased in blue plastic (the connector itself, PSU is black box!).

Kev
Old 8th Jul 2016, 10:35 am   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

Sean, that would be great if you could. If you've a 2.5mm jack plug could you check it will fit in the end of the DC plug,
Cheers, Nick

In the meantime Kev has replied - Thanks - but could someone still confirm the 2.5mm inner (rather than 2.1mm)

Last edited by Nicklyons2; 8th Jul 2016 at 10:37 am. Reason: additional material
Old 8th Jul 2016, 11:52 am   #5
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Definitely 9v AC, 1.3A on the casing. Best I can measure for the inner bore is 2.4mm but a 2.5mm twist drill is too big.

Ken
Old 8th Jul 2016, 12:59 pm   #6
PsychMan
Octode

These are the same as the original Nintendo console.

A DC supply will also work, perhaps they simply put the rectification inside the console? I seem to remember buying a DC supply on ebay, and didn't realise it wasn't AC until I'd already used it for some time on the console with no issues!
Old 8th Jul 2016, 6:20 pm   #7
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

My son has got a SNES. The original PSU ratings are:
Pri 243v~ 50Hz
Sec 9v~1.3A
For use with (Super)NES Control deck only.
The lead terminates in a 2.5 mm (I think) plug as its AC polarity is unimportant.

Malcolm
Old 8th Jul 2016, 7:29 pm   #8
Nicklyons2
Octode

Thanks to all above - I'm off to search for similars in my box of 'bricks'
Old 20th Jul 2016, 12:08 pm   #9
orbanp1
Heptode

The "beauty" of those Nintendo bricks is that the housing can be opened up easily, it uses screws and not gluing or ultrasonic welding (at least the ones here in NA).
The raw voltage is high enough and the transformer provides enough current to turn it into a stabilized PS to any portable equipment. There is also enough room in there to do this with an LM317 or LM78XX and a rectifying stage.
I picked up a few of those when they were still plenty around on garage sales.

Peter
Old 22nd Jul 2016, 6:18 am   #10
electronicskip
Nonode

I collect vintage games machines and have about 300 of them , and it never ceases to amaze me how reliable and well built most of them are .
The snes is no exception.
Old 15th Aug 2016, 1:05 pm   #11
Nicklyons2
Octode

Just an 'update': since originally posting this a car booty has unearthed a 'real' SNES supply so I thought I'd measure its particulars in case anyone in the future has to replace one.

It is 9va.c. with the rated 1.3A load and is 10.3va.c. off load it has a 5.5/2.5mm DC power plug with the shorter 10mm snout.
Old 16th Aug 2016, 9:06 am   #12
dglcomp
Heptode

Still have by SNES that I got for Christmas in 1993, haven't got Mario for it yet and annoyingly with my dad being into football I got it with FIFA bundled with it instead, lost the original controller years ago but the cheap aftermarket controllers on ebay seem to work fine (although they are in the US colour scheme of purple and grey.

I can also confirm that anything from 9-12V seems to work and it is happy with DC. Also the AV multi-out uses the same cabling as used for the N64 and Gamecube and are backards/forwards compatible (of course limited to what the console is able to put out on the multi-AV connector)

Note that some devices with AC-AC adaptors will not work with a DC supply. Mixers with an AC supply and some keyboards (looking at you miniak) need an AC-AC adaptor for the audio circuitry to function.
Closed Thread