UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl NVCF), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 14th Dec 2022, 3:36 pm   #21
Lucien Nunes
Nonode

Default Re: MEET - call to arms! Can you help?

I've reached out to Sam on a couple of occasions but not had any dialogue yet, just sent another message. I agree, he has energy, enthusiasm and connects well with a diverse audience, albeit much of the feedback on his media channels seems to come from a devoted fan-base with no specific historical interest. We share a sense of the need for showmanship, which is positive, although our actual objectives seem quite different. In fact, I'm not sure what his ultimate mission is, beyond his dedication to experimental electro-musical projects, but there could be enough common ground to be a starting point.
Old 15th Dec 2022, 4:53 pm   #22
Lucien Nunes
Nonode

Update, it looks like a couple of previous messages between Sam and I got lost in the ether. I've just had a very nice reply from him and we're hoping to put our heads together soon.
Old 9th Jan 2023, 3:35 pm   #23
Lucien Nunes
Nonode

Just bumping this to keep the dialogue flowing. A general recap:

Until 2021 I was embarking on a serious, substantial project to integrate vintage technology and its preservation into a public-facing project of potentially very wide appeal. Because of its educational scope and broad relevance to every human being alive, MEET is capable of attracting funding and resources from far and wide, once it is on a sound footing organisationally and has a track-record of delivering public benefit.

Much of its true value is in bringing vintage technology into the public eye and making it relevant outside of enthusiasts' circles, but that very principle is equally of value to the enthusiast community because it harnesses external support for conserving things they themselves enjoy. A footfall of 1000 people over a weekend can provide for a much more substantial, productive and enduring museum than one restricted to the cognoscenti. In 30 years the vintage radio and TV hobby will be nearly dead, unless we take preemptive action to give it new life. MEET is a vehicle for that, and for many other things that have not got a preservation / vintage hobby movement of their own and barely see the light of day even now.

I have spent over ten years and 250k so far in preparation for MEET, and was expecting to spend the next 20 years rolling it out and investing something in the order of 500k in it between now and the execution of my will. It has a governing document, a committee, a collection and a 5-year plan. It was on the brink of registration with the Charity Commission.

The potential to launch in the originally intended form is in jeopardy due to my illness, which probably gives me between six and twelve months left to live. Although there are others involved with the project, none is in a position to take over the reins as the guiding and motivating force and interim funding source. A forum member recently took the time to come and talk to me about it and offer help, and to work out one approach to raising its profile which we will be pursuing this month. All constructive suggestions and input are extremely welcome, someone somewhere might be sitting on the solution.

I don't want to dismantle the collection, nor see it mothballed forever with no plan to follow. But even more so, it is the idea that I want to see come to life. The idea that when suitably presented and curated, vintage tech is enjoyable by everyone.