UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2006, 11:29 am   #1
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Question GEC 4070 Minicomputer Info Please

Hello All,

I bought a Core memory board (32k) from a really nice chap on ebay and he included a few extra boards free as part of the deal.
I'd really like to find a bit more technical info on this minicomputer, and try to do something with the panels i have. (not a great deal on the web)
The idea of stringing them together to get at least part of the thing doing something really appeals to me.
Has anyone out there ever worked on one of these things, or does anyone have manuals / schematics so i can see what i have and what i need?

Thanks for any info or insight,

Cheers,
Alan.
Old 17th Dec 2006, 2:46 pm   #2
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Re: GEC 4070 Minicomputer Info Please

Just to continue on with this, i now have all the boards for the 4070 processor and core memory store. I have a small ammount of documentation from the web.
I am hoping to put together a backplane to link all of these boards together.
I've not worked on a computer where all the processor is made up of discrete TTL chips, but i must say i'm even more impressed now that i have enough boards for a complete system.
Again if anyone has any info on this old beast of a computer i could use any information / advise.
If i start to get anywhere with this i will post it.

Happy Christmas Folks,

Alan.
Old 22nd May 2007, 1:59 pm   #3
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Re: GEC 4070 Minicomputer Info Please

Hello Folks,

Due to a bit of very good luck, i was given the chance of a free GEC 4070 computer . Unfortunately i don't have room for the racking system that holds everything together, but i did rescue a processor crate and a memory storage crate. I am in the process of getting everything powered up and the two crates talking to each other, but it's looking good.
At the moment the +5v rail alone for the processor is at about 40A !! (thank goodness for switched mode power supplies- i left the original PSU's as they were too big and heavy).
The attached pictures show the crates in situ in their original place of work (4 others had been scrapped and destroyed).
Will keep you posted,

Alan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny_4070-Processor (1).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	9833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny_4070-Memory.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	9834