UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2007, 12:48 pm   #1
paul.brett
Tetrode

Default Oric Atmos power supply

I have recently acquired what was claimed to be a working Oric Atmos.

I am having a problem with the power supply, and hope somebody reading this forum can help me. As far as I know, it is the second model of power supply produced, rated at 9v 5.4va, but I think it is dead.

My question to you is, can I use a variable power supply, rated at 9v 3.6va (max)? Will the Oric try to draw too much and blow-up the power supply?

Can anybody tell me the correct polarity. I assume it is positive tip (centre). The sticker says:

Output 9v
___
5.4VA

My computer collecting efforts to date: http://www.pbrett.com/cm (the Atmos is not listed yet, as I only list working stuff.)

Thank-you all for your time.

Paul.
Old 14th Mar 2007, 1:54 pm   #2
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

Default Re: Oric Atmos power supply

I'm not an expert on the Atmos....
If the Power supply you have was rated at 5.4VA and has died it could be that there was a fault in the Atmos causing it to draw too much current and hence causing the PSU to fail. I would not advise using a lower rating supply until you have ascertained what the Atmos is actually drawing. If the Power supply comes apart and is not stuck together you could easily check polarity with an ohm-meter. The only failures in small Power supplies I have had is that the Thermal fuse has tripped although this is often diificult to get at to replace.

If it were me I would probably take the lid off the Atmos and look for the ground connections on the ICs (Usually Pin 7 for 14 pin ICs and Pin 8 for 16 Pin ICs) You could also locate the negative connection of any large electrolytic capacitors. Then check continuity to the power input socket on the Atmos. That will tell you the -Ve connection.

It would be wise to run the computer up on a stabilised Bench power supply and monitor the current. If the Power supply was only rated at 5.4VA I would expect the unit to draw 400-500mA. HTH

Like the Web site by the way. Where is the Microtan Tangerine?

Denis
Old 14th Mar 2007, 3:53 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Oric Atmos power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DWC View Post
Like the Web site by the way.
Yes, and the collection which it represents